Learner bike ?
Apr 19, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Honda CBR600 is a gret choice, right? It's only 600cc.

you seriously don't know anything about bikes do you? or are you just toying with us... a 600cc sport bike makes about 100-115 horsepower. It weighs 400lbs. Take a quick look at these numbers compared to various sports cars and even super cars of your choice. If you still don't understand, a 600cc sport bike can run a 10sec 1/4 mile, and 0-60 in 3 seconds. OTOH a 1000cc sport bike makes about 160-170hp and will run a 9 sec 1/4 mile with 0-60 in the high 2's.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you seriously don't know anything about bikes do you? or are you just toying with us... a 600cc sport bike makes about 100-115 horsepower. It weighs 400lbs. Take a quick look at these numbers compared to various sports cars and even super cars of your choice. If you still don't understand, a 600cc sport bike can run a 10sec 1/4 mile, and 0-60 in 3 seconds. OTOH a 1000cc sport bike makes about 160-170hp and will run a 9 sec 1/4 mile with 0-60 in the high 2's.

Exactly. Learning on a CBR is like learning to drive in a Veyron. It makes no sense, and all it will do is kill you quickly. Start with something cheap, something you won't cry over if you wreck it, and something that won't wreck you.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep 250cc restriction to learners.

Wow, your country sucks. My learning bike was a Kawasaki KZ1000 (which I promptly crashed).

Do they have MSF courses in Austalia?

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, your country sucks. My learning bike was a Kawasaki KZ1000 (which I promptly crashed).

Do they have MSF courses in Austalia?

When I was in Sydney, I have to take 2 x 2hours MSF introduction course to get a learner's permit and 1 x 8 hours (if I'm not mistaken) MSF test to get a full permit.

I learn the hard way, riding a bike in Australia sucks
very_evil_smiley.gif
Too many cops on the road due to low crimes so they crack down on any traffic violence hard to keep their job
tongue.gif

I was young & stupid to get my license (learner bike and full Car) suspended for a month because of riding 97 km/h in 60 zone, it was at 1.00 am
blink.gif
Sold my bike after that to pay court fines
rolleyes.gif

Btw, I got CBR 250 and I was beaten badly by Nissan Skyline GTR from stop position. I was able to line up during 1st gear but when it's time to change for 2nd gear, that car's gone.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #50 of 84
Quote:

Couldn't agree more! This is the problem with most (not all) new riders in their 20's. They think they are invincible and choose their first bikes based on looks or 'peer' pressure. While basic riding skills may be developed relatively quickly, it's judgement and a proper state of mind that comes only with experience. I have been an MSF and track instructor and and have seen attitutes change in young riders' attitudes after attending the courses. I have 30+ years of experience riding an average of 10K miles per year and own 5 bikes myself. The slowest is a BMW R1100RS and the fastest is a Kawasaki ZX-12R with mods. I also spend regular time riding at the track myself.

I have friends that work at bike dealers that tell me that about 2/3 of the new 600cc class sportbikes that are sold to young inexperienced riders are dropped or totalled before the first regularly scheduled maintenance which occurs at 600 miles!!

Think before you act! It will save your life. Those that don't must be only too happy to remove themselves from the gene pool.

I sincerely hope that cotdt is toying with us...

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Honda CBR600 is a gret choice, right? It's only 600cc.

If you are into the whole sport bike thing than yes it is a good choice. AS LONG AS YOU KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS AND HAVE SELF CONTROL!!! I know a few people who started on a 900+ and have not had any issues. If you want a sport bike the MINIMUM is a 600 imo.

However, I do agree with the posters above who say it will be easier to learn on a smaller cruiser bike. but as long as you do not try to ride faster than you can handle you will be fine.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #52 of 84
Quote:

which is a poor choice for a first bike

I had a Ducati Monster 750 with Carbon slipon as my first bike, worked perfekt for me, I was never close to crash. I think if you can get a hold of your self it shouldn't be any problem, but maybe he shouldn't buy one of those as a beginner, or why not http://www.mvagusta.com/_vti_g2_ver....=92&rpstry=27_

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are into the whole sport bike thing than yes it is a good choice. AS LONG AS YOU KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS AND HAVE SELF CONTROL!!! I know a few people who started on a 900+ and have not had any issues. If you want a sport bike the MINIMUM is a 600 imo.

However, I do agree with the posters above who say it will be easier to learn on a smaller cruiser bike. but as long as you do not try to ride faster than you can handle you will be fine.

I don't agree with the minimum 600, there are a lot of other factors to consider like ergos, and horsepower. I think a good starter sportbike would be a suzuki gs500 or a ninja 250, 500 or 650.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Ducati Monster 750 with Carbon slipon as my first bike, worked perfekt for me, I was never close to crash. I think if you can get a hold of your self it shouldn't be any problem, but maybe he shouldn't buy one of those as a beginner, or why not http://www.mvagusta.com/_vti_g2_ver....=92&rpstry=27_

good to hear that it worked for you, most people drop their first bikes and it would suck to drop a ducati. People told me this over and over and I didn't listen, I was very very careful with my bike, took my msf before riding it and passed with a perfect score. I still dropped the bike... Luckily I had frame sliders to prevent any serious damage, but keep in mind on a sport bike plastic can be very expensive to replace.

You have nothing to lose by starting on a learner bike, it will make you a better rider and increase your chances of survival. Consider that no professional racers start their career in F1 or similar highpower classes, they usually do it from the bottom up starting with go-karts. Also, it is much funner to develop the skill to ride a slow bike fast, than buy a fast bike and be forced to ride it slow.

To the OP- honda is introducing a new 125 for 2007 styled after the cbr series. They're releasing it as a beginner package complete with an awesome warentee and gear included, for a very good price. I don't think it has hit the states yet but is now available in Canada. It may be a little underpowered but looks fantastic and is a great bike to learn on.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #55 of 84
From what i've researched;
Start off with a USED ninja ex250/500, gs500, or sv650.
Don't waste your money on a new bike because you will drop it.
Also don't start off with bikes such as gsxr, r6 etc.
And yes, go take the MSF course
wink.gif

Also remember you will be spending a lot for safety gear!
(helmet,jacket,pants,boots,gloves)

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #56 of 84
To the OP: Have you considered the Aprilia RS125?. It's a two stroker, so you'll have to live with the funny smell and higher maintainance costs. But you'll get a bike which acts as a real sports bike and won't kill you.
I'm actually considering it as my first real bike...

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #57 of 84
Well I like nakeds I think they're called.

Not entirely sure I got the terminology down.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd rather not have a 2 stroke as well from experience and what I've been told. PITA to mix oil, noisier, blow more smoke, less reliable, shorter life, narrow power band. Of course they have pluses but all of those sort of outweigh them to me.

Wonder if they'll release that package here.

The good thing it seems buying used is there seems to be here a steady market for 250s as learners buy them, have them for a year or two and sell them on.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #58 of 84
Yeah, when I bought & sold my CBR250 within 6 months ownership, I still sell it for $500 more then when I bought it. I got a great deal when I bought it and since I've been riding a bike when I was in Indonesia, I never drop that CBR. I can't tame my urge to go faster though which is very expensive with lots of cops w/ no real works in Australia.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark.s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP: Have you considered the Aprilia RS125?. It's a two stroker, so you'll have to live with the funny smell and higher maintainance costs. But you'll get a bike which acts as a real sports bike and won't kill you.
I'm actually considering it as my first real bike...

it is a beautiful looking bike, I wish we could get them up here. They are very picky though and you have to treat it right if you want it to last. Its better to buy a new one than risk getting a used one that hasn't been treated properly. Put a few drops of castrol oil in and smell that nostalgia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back