Lear LCM-Skyline - Great CIEM for around $200!
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
10390250.jpg

Working on a full review as time permits, but I wanted to start a thread to discuss these as well. They start at roughly $185USD and like most customs can get more expensive as you add options. As far as I know, that's pretty much uncharted price territory for a custom IEM from an established, known quality maker (I'm not counting any shady AliExpress brands in that category).

My unit shown above is $215 which gets a solid "glitter black" design (included in the base price) with the upgraded Combo Con replaceable MMCX sockets (which caused the extra ~$30 price bump - seems like a fair deal to me). You can also get translucent or solid (non glitter) black for the same price. Other colors cost ~$60 extra, and I'm not sure the pricing if you want wood faceplates, carbon fiber, etc. Imho the glitter black is quite attractive, and there's nothing about this CIEM that gives it away as being drastically cheaper than my other entry-level models which go for at least twice the price.

Inside, Lear boasts their "very own high performance 8mm PEEK diaphragm, N50 Neodymium magnet, and CCAW coil full range dynamic driver . Fitted with our high purity solid core oxygen free copper (OFC) interconnection wire and 4% Silver-Tin soldering, ensuring high sensitivity providing frequency response up to 40,000Hz to be certified as Hi-Res by the Japan Audio Society, with a very low distortion at (≦ 0.2% THD@1kHz), providing natural and detailed listening experience."

There's also some interesting venting technology going on which I'll discuss more in my full review. So far the sound is warm, dynamic, and fairly open, with beautifully rich, creamy midrange that so far feels like the star of the show. They are somewhat dark, but to me it feels like a deliberate tuning choice rather than a driver just running out of bandwidth. Obviously I could be wrong but you get the idea - rather than aiming for neutral and failing to hit the mark, they seem tuned in a complementary way that shows the strengths of the full-range driver whilst minimizing the inherent limitations.

Anyone else have experience with these? I see there are a few reviews out there but I always avoid reading anything like that until I'm done with mine. Even with the cost of impressions and shipping to Hong Kong, the Skyline still seems almost too good to be true.

Attachments

• DSCF0754.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 16
Surprised there is not more attention for these... I might just get a pair, I love a DD and the signature is right up my alley... do you know if they accept STL files for prints? I’ll shoot a question to them, as I’d prefer them with a 2pin socket

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't know about their process other than it does involve 3D scanning at one point, so perhaps they can skip the physical impressions altogether. That's a great idea if it works! And it wasn't that far back when they used 2-pin cables exclusively so I imagine you'd be able to request that on your order. But definitely shoot them an email about it.

I'm swamped with a few projects but will have a lot more to say on these soon enough. Very, very impressive considering the cost!

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't know about their process other than it does involve 3D scanning at one point, so perhaps they can skip the physical impressions altogether. That's a great idea if it works! And it wasn't that far back when they used 2-pin cables exclusively so I imagine you'd be able to request that on your order. But definitely shoot them an email about it.

I'm swamped with a few projects but will have a lot more to say on these soon enough. Very, very impressive considering the cost!
I'm guessing their website doesn't help if you don't speak chinese, unless I'm missing the english one?

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Surprised there is not more attention for these... I might just get a pair, I love a DD and the signature is right up my alley... do you know if they accept STL files for prints? I’ll shoot a question to them, as I’d prefer them with a 2pin socket
In case you don't hear back from them any time soon this is from the headphonia review " It also means you can send 3D impression files to Lear Audio for your set, instead of shipping physical impressions. If you don’t have files, you need to ship of course. But the technology ensures you won’t have to send another set again, since Lear scans your impressions to store your particular 3D files."

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm guessing their website doesn't help if you don't speak chinese, unless I'm missing the english one?

This is what I'm looking at. I don't know how much is English versus auto-translate in my browser, so let me know how it works for you. I have always communicated with Lear in English though, and it's been fine, so I assume others would have a similar experience.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 16
This is what I'm looking at. I don't know how much is English versus auto-translate in my browser, so let me know how it works for you. I have always communicated with Lear in English though, and it's been fine, so I assume others would have a similar experience.
Yeah, found the english option not long after posting that. Most of it is fine.

Dec 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 16
I am getting one :)

Dec 28, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Dec 28, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back