Leaning towards DT880s
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

splaz

1000+ Head-Fier

Okay well, to sum up my journey so far.

When I was much younger my first headphones were Sony DR-V150, fairly average headphones but not awful. Learnt for the first time to not got inline volume control and also how to cut it out and solder it all back together.

Eventually when they finally broke completely I went headphone shopping and auditioned some MS-1s and AD700s. Went for the MS-1s and loved them, well worth it.

The detail, clarity... just that sound!. Everything was great, except maybe positioning/soundstage which to me was it's weakness.

That was about 6 years ago, my well loved MS-1s have been through hell, being my public transport headphones after I broke or lost the clips on my 2 sets of KSC-75s.

So now the pads are faded, cords twisted, one driver is a tad rattley and I actually don't even know where they are because my younger brother has borrowed them so much they're currently missing again. He's now moved onto some AD700s himself.

Anyway, I'm now looking for a replacement but also to upgrade. Don't fear for my wallet, my birthday is just around the corner.
biggrin.gif

So what I've auditioned so far is:

Alessandro MS-2: Love the sound, like falling in love with the MS-1s again only better. Downside is I don't find them comfortable like the MS-1s, the weight of the metal cups and the bowl pads seem to be the culprit here. Like the looks.

Audio Technica AD900: I also really like the sound of these, which isn't surprising as I liked the 700s all those years ago. Seems to be not as 'in your face' as the Alesandros and also have better soundstaging and clarity. Looks pretty good but while comfy sits funny on my head, which is obviously a personal thing, but putting me off.

AKG K242: Whenever I swapped to this I got the feeling that something had changed, like there was this 'thickness' that had suddenly appeared. As the sales guy said, 'they're not the cleanest'. Some may describe it as warmth... I didn't really like it myself. Other than that they do sound amazing, they look great and one of the most comfortable headphones I've had on my head. There was on other aspect of the sound I didn't like which I'll expand on below.

AKG K702: These did sound amazing, there were some female vocals which just sounded drop dead stunning through these. These didn't to me seem to have that unwanted warmth of the K242, however to me at least they both lacked something at the low end. Certain tracks for example would have kick drums that normally I would be foot tapping along to but wasn't with the AKGs, they were still there but it was if they were in the background, subtle and subdued. It's as if they were lacking in impact. This is one of the only complaints I had, but to me ruled them both out, it was just something I was looking for. THe 702 has the same great looks and comfort, which is a real shame, I really wanted to like these. Pesky ears.

Beyer DT880s (250Z) : Had these suggested last minute and they just added to my indecision. I really liked the sound and unlike the AKGs there was nothing that stood out that I didn't like, not quite as good as the MS-2 but far more comfortable. Not excited by the looks. All around though the best compromise between all my needs.

How I stand at the moment is leaning towards the DT880s, I really do like the MS-2s but the comfort is a real issue and I am also considering in future just getting replacement MS-1s if I go with the Beyers. Thoughts ?

Audio Technicas are in 3rd contention and the AKGs I'm not really considering at all.

The DT880s are out of stock for now, so I'm putting some more music together to re-audition them again soon and decide once and for all.

Anyone care to throw some more thoughts into the chaos of this decision ?

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I never heard MS-1s/Ms-2s which you seem to favor, however I currently own Grado Sr60s and have owned Grado Sr325is' in the past. My main pair right now is Beyer DT990s. I owned and sold my DT880s - I found them slightly boring for my taste. If the Alessandro's are similar to the Grado sound (which is my assumption) I'd suggest you do not prefer the neutral sound of something like the 880s. I've owned a ton of headphones over the years incl k701s - and the 990s are to me the most interesting and exciting phones I've ever owned. They are my favorite! After I settled on them - I stopped looking - they are my go tos. You may want to check them out - I love them. Good Luck. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I never heard MS-1s/Ms-2s which you seem to favor, however I currently own Grado Sr60s and have owned Grado Sr325is' in the past. My main pair right now is Beyer DT990s. I owned and sold my DT880s - I found them slightly boring for my taste. If the Alessandro's are similar to the Grado sound (which is my assumption) I'd suggest you do not prefer the neutral sound of something like the 880s. I've owned a ton of headphones over the years incl k701s - and the 990s are to me the most interesting and exciting phones I've ever owned. They are my favorite! After I settled on them - I stopped looking - they are my go tos. You may want to check them out - I love them. Good Luck. 

Cheers, the 990s are around the same price. Will give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back