LDII++ Tube Rolling Part 2
May 4, 2007 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I just ordered the LDII++ from David and it'll be on its way in a week or two. Just like to know what are some of the best sounding tube combinations fellow LDII++(v2) owners have tried and where did you source the tubes? I'm going to use the amp with HD650 and am specifically looking for an airy(er) sound without sacrificing the comfortably-warm mid-range.

I've read the other LDII++ tube rolling thread but it's gotten a little too convoluted for the non-initiated to comprehend. I'd like this thread to be a more straight-forward version of the old thread, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 17
You still have the Mullard EF92/CV131 tubes that came with your LD2+ right? I'd start out with trying those. The ediswans that come with the ++ sound good, but they also sound sort of boring in comparison to the mullards.

Then if you like the Mullards in there, you should seek out a pair of CV4015/M8161 Mullards which are the higher quality version of the EF92/CV131. They are a bit brighter and don't have quite as much of a bass hump as the CV131's but they are probably the best overall sounding tube I've found so far.

Or if you want to go the other way, make the bass even more groovy with a bit of rolled off highs, try the MWT W77 tubes. These seem like more the tubes you would use if you were playing music at a party rather than critical listening, but they are fun and they still sound plenty good and would recommend picking up a pair.

As far as the power tubes, the stock chinese ones are pretty good, but look for a pair of 6C19n-B/6S19P-V tubes if you want to improve the bass a bit. The -B / -V designations mean they are the higher quality versions of the tubes and the ones you should look for. Regular 6C19n/6S19P tubes sound a bit grainy in comparison. Be aware that some have had buzzing issues with these tubes as well.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 17
The tubes that the Little Dot II++ come with sound extremely good. I use the Little Dot with HD 600 and 650 and it has fast become one of my favourite amps. The Mullards are an easy replacement but not so easy to fine the Russian tubes in UK.

In the first place, you may well like the sound of the tubes that it ships with. It has a great sound.

I just ordered a second set from David which I'll store away in case anything goes wrong with the original set.

Ian

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually prefer the LDII+ over the ++, alas the + died on me...
frown.gif

not surprised.

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not surprised.

about the dying or that the II+ sounds better?

I personally think that the II+ sounds better too!

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I actually prefer the LDII+ over the ++, alas the + died on me...
frown.gif

How much is it to order a set of replacement power tubes from David?

$25 plus postage

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about the dying or that the II+ sounds better?

I personally think that the II+ sounds better too!

dying. the + was more tubey but i think the ++ overall sounds better.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #13 of 17
I think the ++ sounds rather uninvolving with my HD650 compared to the +. By the way, $25+postage a quite a lot, I was expecting something a bit less. Are there other sources of power tube that I can try?

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I think the ++ sounds rather uninvolving with my HD650 compared to the +. By the way, $25+postage a quite a lot, I was expecting something a bit less. Are there other sources of power tube that I can try?

I bought a pair via this FS post. It's good deal if he still has some left.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256323

Users who are viewing this thread

Back