LD2/tube amp burn-in question
Sep 10, 2007 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nick20

Banned
This is open to anyone who can answer, not specifically the LD crowd.

I purchased a pair of Sony A1k's, and this amp. Nothing has arrived yet, and I understand burn in with the headphones, but now a question on tube amp burn in.

1. Roughly how long is a good generalization for 'burning in'? 100 hours? 200 hours?

2. Can I burn in with the amp with the headphones plugged in?

3. And what's a good rule about turning the amp/off? Say I will listen to my headphones 3 times a day, likely once in the morning, once in the afternoon and onces in the evening. Should I just turn it on from the first session, and leave it on until I'm done? Or turn it off after the second session? (a few hours before the next session)

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Roughly how long is a good generalization for 'burning in'? 100 hours? 200 hours?

2. Can I burn in with the amp with the headphones plugged in?

3. And what's a good rule about turning the amp/off?

1. my LD2++ sounded pretty good right out of the box, but i think it will reach optimal performance after about 50-100 hours.

2. i would burn in the amp with the headphones plugged in.

3. the LD2++ gets pretty hot. i would turn it off in between sessions.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. my LD2++ sounded pretty good right out of the box, but i think it will reach optimal performance after about 50-100 hours.

2. i would burn in the amp with the headphones plugged in.

3. the LD2++ gets pretty hot. i would turn it off in between sessions.

Thanks. The LD2 will be right under a open AC vent. It's about ~6 cooler on my desk than my bedroom (~75).

I've heard that problems can come to the tubes from start up, and they talk about running it continually, but what about 3 times during different intervals?

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

I've heard that problems can come to the tubes from start up, and they talk about running it continually, but what about 3 times during different intervals?

unless the intervals are very short, i would probably turn off the LD2++. other tube amps maybe you could leave on all day. i dont think i would leave on the ++ all day though.

Sep 10, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless the intervals are very short, i would probably turn off the LD2++. other tube amps maybe you could leave on all day. i dont think i would leave on the ++ all day though.

Thanks for your opinion. And likely the way I plan on using it. Anyone else?

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thanks for your opinion. And likely the way I plan on using it. Anyone else?

I usually turn mine on when I get home from work around 5:00 and don't usually turn it off till around 12:00. No problems so far.
cool.gif
Keep in mind that I have replaced the power tubes to a Russian made model. If you want to get into "Tube Rolling", run a quick search for your amp, as there are a few big threads on the subject about the LD2++.

I can also echo all the burn in suggestions listed above. Let us know how it pairs up with the Sony. Have fun.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually turn mine on when I get home from work around 5:00 and don't usually turn it off till around 12:00. No problems so far.
cool.gif
Keep in mind that I have replaced the power tubes to a Russian made model. If you want to get into "Tube Rolling", run a quick search for your amp, as there are a few big threads on the subject about the LD2++.

I can also echo all the burn in suggestions listed above. Let us know how it pairs up with the Sony. Have fun.

smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I already have the "tube rolling for LD2++" thread bookmarked. I'll give it some time to burn in and get adjusted to the sound sonically, before I swap out the tubes. I plan on replacing stock with Russian or NOS tubes.

Thanks,

-Nick
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back