LD2++ made to match
Nov 25, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok...the LD2++ has been off all day...got home and powered it up (no headphones attached), small white flash from driver tubes...both this time...but a much slower and dimmer glow that lasted around a full second. Again the unit works fine as before, I decided to let it warm up for 2-3 hrs and then turn off and on within a minute to see if the flash is worse...tempting fate? maybe..
Upon re-powering, no flash glow or arcing. I think I read somewhere around a month or two ago that a glow from a cold tube on start up is not a concern, the trouble is I cant find where I read that now. If anyone does know I would like to re-read.

Quote:

这个闪光是正常的快速灯丝加热,上网查询一下就知道了,很多电子管有这个工艺,对声音,器材不会有任何影响 。

ok, let's make it clear
i have asked Mr yang regarding this white flashing

and the above is his reply

that means
this white flasing is common, it served to heat the filament rapidly, a lot of tube have this technology.
it wont affect the sound and spoil your stuff

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 32
LOL
280smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeah_guyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, let's make it clear
i have asked Mr yang regarding this white flashing

and the above is his reply

that means
this white flasing is common, it served to heat the filament rapidly, a lot of tube have this technology.
it wont affect the sound and spoil your stuff

But... does it stress the tube, resulting in shorter life?

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 32
I dont think them tubes could get any more stressed than how I pushed them last night!! It will be good to hear about others impressions of how the LD2++ sounds to them.
I would like to have a 'for instance' of which other brands/makes of tube amps have had the "in-rush current" white glow on power-up...if any one knows please..
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 32
Hi Rain_UK

I recently posted in the other II++ thread my impressions (didn't want to hijack yours) and I couldn't agree more with your impressions. I guess if you're hearing the same thing then my impressions are correct! Yes the upper mids does seem to have been brought foward a bit. I have so far been listening to similar type of music as you have too. I do notice one thing thing is that voice recording sound great, but it seems like instrumental only recordings sound even better. I like the cello a lot and have tried it out with the II++ and it sounds terrific with this little amp. I hope this will be of help to everyone and I'm actually looking foward to modding it soon if the options are available. Lets squeeze every ounce of SQ out of this amp!

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 32
I have the inrush current thing on my main amp. Its an audio innovations series 300 mk2. Fine amp but totally unknown!! Only their later ones, first and second are more seen.

Anyway, when I got the amp first it had original (cheapy) 12AX7s and 12AU7 int he preamp section along with Mullard ECL86 tubes for drivers (these are a bit unusual almost the last new tube made for audio and internally are really half a 12AX7 and half an EL34). Anyway, I went off and got some new tubes - EI telefunken clones for the 12AX7 and 12AU7 and true telefunkens for the ECL86s.

The old tubes never flashed, the new ones always do! So theres the same tubes but from different makers both new and nos, with teh flash.

I asked the question of whether the in rush current did any harm and the replies I got were very much that the jury was out on it. Some said it could shorten tube life cos it made teh tubes heat more quickly and may stress them. Others said there was no data to say it made the slightest bit of difference. My question was posed over on the tubes section of DIYaudio.com, prob the most expert place on the web for this stuff. I asked it from the point of view of should I fix this and how to do it. I never bothered in the end.

To be honest I visit there fairly often and I'm kinda surprised that noone here with an LD2+ with arcing tubes have been on to the guys over there to see what they think. Might even be able to get someone to have a look and see exactly whats wrong. Not wanting to thread jack but personally I don't think its the tubes as such, but that the voltage on the tubes is set a bit high to allow the use of the amp as a preamp. The LD2 which I have never had that problem - never reported once even in the 4 versions of it that were made.

Fran

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoStones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
voice recording sound great, Lets squeeze every ounce of SQ out of this amp!

Hey there GoStones..I coudnt agree with you more, im pleased someone else is getting the same enjoyment as me! I feel there maybe a good following for this amp once a few more people report back with thier findngs. You mentioned on the other thread yours has the orange led..so would yours be 110v? Mine is blue, 240v and not overbright like LD2 was. But looks aside this amp does sound so so good and for me worth every penny, and the wait
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the inrush current thing on my main amp. Its an audio innovations series 300 mk2. Fine amp but totally unknown!! My question was posed over on the tubes section of DIYaudio.com, prob the most expert place on the web for this stuff. I asked it from the point of view of should I fix this and how to do it. I never bothered in the end.

Hi Fran, Im in the same camp as you and wont be atempting to prevent the starting glow (I could see myself imagining I had affected the sound or something, and I dont want that, even if it is just in my head!). The glow on cold start has lessened now (not as bright), and im more than pleased for it to stay just the way it is. I may try future tubes sometime, but im enjoying these babys to much to consider that yet..
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 32
It's true. There is no denying that even the LD2+ sounds very good, despite the many technical problems users have reported to have. It goes especially well with my HD595 as it improves almost every aspect of the cans. I have no idea how the LD2++ compares to the LD2+, but it seems like the difference is not HUGE. In the mean time, i'm glad to know that the white flash on my LD2+ power tubes will not cause any harm to the amp or my headphones.

One more question, when u see the white flash, rain_uk, do you also hear a loud POP that accompanies with the flash?

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when u see the white flash, rain_uk, do you also hear a loud POP that accompanies with the flash?

nope, tested it earlier, and no sound emits from the phones as the 2++ powers up and the glow comes and goes (tested with 650's).
Furthermore when I first received the LD2++ I slowly turned up the volume with no source playing to listen for a slight hiss or hum to let me know it was working as I had no microphonic ring on the 650's. I actually plugged my DT831's in to check things as I wasn't sure it was working, the 831's let me know it was on with a 'ring' as I plugged them in, I find it hard to make out with the 650's but I guess the top-endy characteristics of the DT's make it more audible. There isn't a microphonic issue for me at all when the LD2++ is partnered with the 650's, just thought I should mention that.

The Little Dot 2++ has pleased me with every album I have played, the sound is very seductive, distinct plucks of bass guitar giving my music a rhythm im just loving...atmosphere a plenty with tracks that have it...and then theres the bass....I hope not to 'hype' with my impression of the sound but I am impressed...nuff said.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #26 of 32
About front tubes flash:
First this cannot have any sound impact, next, if has the quality question we to be possible to guarantee in for 2 years the free replacement.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About front tubes flash:
First this cannot have any sound impact, next, if has the quality question we to be possible to guarantee in for 2 years the free replacement.

A most welcome gesture! thankyou kindly for that..
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About front tubes flash:

Mr. Yang, what about white flash in the power tubes?

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the LD2++ pair with Grados now? From what I've read, previous generations of LD2 amps were too bright for Grados, have they warmed up the signature any?

If I had any Grados to try I would let you know. I dont know how many people have a LD2++ yet, but hopefully not long before more reveiws and impressions roll in. I have no take on the LD2 being bright for the Grados so I cant give a comparison over the LD2++, but someone will soon im sure.
The 650's with the LD2++ sound fuller bodied to me than with the LD2..no question about that. I wonder how many people are wondering 'just how would it sound with..' at this time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back