LD MKVI - right channel takes ~60 seconds to turn on, transformer buzz
Dec 23, 2008 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

El_Doug

Headphoneus Supremus
Having used this Amp for over a month, I was very surprised when this problem arose out of nowhere

When I turn on my LD MK VI, the left channel turns on as normal, but the right channel remains off. the VU meter remains dark, until a minute later when it turns on - not immediately, but slowly "warms up" to full brightness. the sound follows the same pattern

at the same time, the amp itself sounds as normal, until the right channel kicks in - then a loud, high-pitched buzz comes from the transformer.

when all of this happens, a low-level buy quite noticeable noise comes out of the cans!

is my only option to send the amp back to China? or is there some kind of quick fix to this kind of problem that I just dont know of? this is the same outlet that I've been using the entire time. I do plan on shooting David an email as well, but any help yall can offer would be greatly appreciated

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having used this Amp for over a month, I was very surprised when this problem arose out of nowhere

When I turn on my LD MK VI, the left channel turns on as normal, but the right channel remains off. the VU meter remains dark, until a minute later when it turns on - not immediately, but slowly "warms up" to full brightness. the sound follows the same pattern

Thats normal operation on the LD Mk VI, the amp does not kick into normal operation until the right channel DC meter lights up to full brightness. Which takes a few minutes from the time you turn on the amp.

The transformer does buzz/hum a bit when it kicks into normal operation mode, how loud it buzz/hum depends on your unit and input voltage. My unit is pretty quite i can only hear a faint transformer buzz/hum if i stick my ear next to the right hand side transformer, say about 5-10cm away.

Quote:

when all of this happens, a low-level buy quite noticeable noise comes out of the cans!

If you can hear hum/noise from your headphones from your amp when there is nothing playing then its your tubes playing up nothing do with the amp itself. Time to get some Deoxit to clean the tube pins and condition them with deoxit gold after.

Or better start roll some nice NOS tubes in that amp. But make sure you clean them with some deoxit first.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Looks like zeenuts nailed everything.

Quote:

then a loud, high-pitched buzz comes from the transformer.

I recall one other user having this issue. See this guy's review. I don't have this issue.

I think it had something to do with the 110v area. Little dot fixed it somehow by changing it to 120v (right?) in their later builds. I read this about a month ago somewhere, forgot what thread. I think it was in the magic dac thread, but searching is annoying right now. I think it's odd to suddenly have a problem after a month of use while you're still on the same power outlet and all.

Check with David and describe what's going on. He'll take care of everything.

NOS tubes highly recommended, deoxit as well. Seems like you get what you pay for when it comes to tubes, but you can't fully appreciate them until you compare with other tubes. I really like the Tung sol VT229, but I still haven't tried out my Brimar CV1985 or the Mullard ECC35. I'm spending a week or so with each pair I got, trying to get a good feel of the sound with a variety of music.

While the MKVI is warming up, I get sound from both channels. The one-minute warmup time is normal. I assume you're talking about the right meter on the front of the amp taking a minute to turn on. It's always been that way.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 8
If you read the instruction manual, they state that the amp needs some seconds to wait for the tubes warming up and then both the VU will turn on.
I don't have any problem with the transformer.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the same buzz coming from the left channel of my HD650's. It is really irking me, it is clearly there if I mute the source. I can also hear it on very quiet parts of audio.

Think the tube pins need a cleaning? that's all? I sure as hell don't want to have to ship this thing back!

My fans are also screwed up.. they keep winding up and winding down making a pretty loud sawing noise. That should be an easy replacement though, so I don't care too much for that.

What are some good tubes for this thing? Recommendations where to get them?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back