LCD2: Lyr Tube Choice and Humming?
Nov 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrksgrn

Head-Fier
Looking for opinions on what is the best tube choice among the basic 2 selections for Lyr paired with the LCD2.
As well, has anyone experienced humming with the LCD2 when no music is playing from the Lyr?

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Looking for opinions on what is the best tube choice among the basic 2 selections for Lyr paired with the LCD2.
As well, has anyone experienced humming with the LCD2 when no music is playing from the Lyr?

Just curious, do you run you components into any type of power conditioner ? For a number of years now I,ve used power conditioners religiously & I don't seem to have any noise coming from the humming power transformers/power supplies inside of my preamps/amps that a lot of people seem to experience. I have a Lyr that has been silent regardless of what tube changes I've made. The only noise I can notice is if I get close (within a foot or two) of my PS Audio P500(I've been mistakingly calling my P700, why who knows?)Power Plant I can notice a slight hum coming from the power transformer inside that. All the components I have connected to the power plant are silent. My music sounds pretty dynamic & I can definitely hear the differences in the tubes I've tried. I've liked the sound of the NOS Mullard E88CCs that I've tried & the Siemens NOS 1974 E88CCs that I've just "swapped" in seem to sound even better than the Mullards do and they are only in my Lyr now for a few hours. Sorry, but I don't have a pair of LCD2 so I can't comment on how these tubes will work with them, but as I've said my Lyr has been silent.(I just noticed something,with music playing if I go up to my power plant I have a hard time hearing any "humming" coming from the transformer inside the pp. it is very faint at a few inches. I never realized that.)

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
The tube pins may need cleaning. The hum is a common occurrence for tube amps with oxidized tube pins.

I use a small dremel stone bit (by hand, no dremel) to polish the pins.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-953-Aluminium-Oxide-Grinding/dp/B00004UDIX

Then use some Deoxit Gold to clean and coat the pins:

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeoxIT-Spray-Contact-Conditioner/dp/B0002BBVOQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321226907&sr=8-3

I don't know if that was included for humor(although, you can never be sure if some knumbskull would actually try to use a dremel tool to clean the tube pins & then try to blame you for the advice. So that was a smart move on your part to be specific),but I got a pretty good chuckle imagining someone grinding off his tube pins!
eek.gif
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back