LCD2 Fazor vs LCDX
Apr 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

AustinKES

Head-Fier
I'm currently using the LCD2 fazor and find them a bit lacking in the lower bass and upper treble. my current setup is USB>Gumby>Jotunhein using the SE output. I've ordered a balanced cable as I've read that this may improve the bass.

I'm definitely not a bass head but I would like a greater bass impact than i currently get out of the 2f's. Would the LCD X have a noticeable increase in bass, and treble that would justify an Additional $700?

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 36
So 2x of an already great headphone is worth the upgrade. That says a lot about the X, time to start saving again....

I never said it was worth it. The worth of something is in the eye of the beholder. You asked if the X has more bass slam and more treble than the 2 Fazor. And it does. But I can’t tell you if those changes make it worth the extra money. That’s for you, alone, to decide.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 36
I'm currently using the LCD2 fazor and find them a bit lacking in the lower bass and upper treble. my current setup is USB>Gumby>Jotunhein using the SE output. I've ordered a balanced cable as I've read that this may improve the bass.

I'm definitely not a bass head but I would like a greater bass impact than i currently get out of the 2f's. Would the LCD X have a noticeable increase in bass, and treble that would justify an Additional $700?

Bass impact is not the forte of planars, in general. From what I've read, this is due to the flat diaphragm, which simply pushes less air at your ears than a dynamic driver would. Outstanding impact in a planar is still going to fall short of pretty good impact in a dynamic. Something like a Fostex is in an entirely different league when it comes to the visceral feel of bass.

That said, you are right to go balanced. The additional power and control that balanced offers should help improve the impact of the bass. Likewise, an amp that can push a lot of current helps considerably. I don't know enough about the Jot to tell you if that's an example, but Audio-gd and Questyle amps sound amazing with LCDs.

Lastly, the X is a definite improvement over the 2F when it comes to bass and treble, but you won't get full on chest-thumping impact or extremely smooth extended highs. For those particular characteristics, I would recommend a dynamic, such as the Elex or the Clear. Those two areas are much more the things that dynamic drivers do best. What the X excels at is detail in the mids and bass, without being vocal forward or shouty, and depth to the music. While I do think the X is superior to the 2F, I've found them different enough to keep both. The 2F being a comparatively laid-back, relaxing listen.

Oh, and you shouldn't ever have to pay more than $950 for an LCD-X. Plenty of b-stock, refurbies, and used options available. Keep an eye on this thread for deals (including this deal on an X): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...the-first-post.692119/page-1868#post-14873038

Hope that helps!

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 36
That more than helps! I've got the Clear and Ether2 's on my list to check out, but I'm partial to the Audeze sound ... so the X's are right up there on my list. Looks like there is a bit of fun ahead for me.

And thank you so much for the jump to the deals discussion threads, would've taken me months to find it on my own

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 36
That more than helps! I've got the Clear and Ether2 's on my list to check out, but I'm partial to the Audeze sound ... so the X's are right up there on my list. Looks like there is a bit of fun ahead for me.

And thank you so much for the jump to the deals discussion threads, would've taken me months to find it on my own

Well, I certainly understand that! I haven't heard an Audeze I didn't love. And while the X doesn't have the impact of a really good dynamic, no dynamic I've heard has the linearity, the extension, the detail, or the control in the bass that the X does. Even the Clear, which is outstanding, sounds just a touch incomplete on the low-end. It's sort of a trade-off.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 36
Lcd 2, Lcd X & Focal Clear ..... not sure how i'm going to sell my wife on 3 HP's.... but i do love a Challenge

Keep the faith, my friend. My wife won't let me buy a jar of pickles if it's not on sale (seriously, that happened yesterday!), yet I have 13 pairs of headphones. It can be done! :beyersmile:

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 36
Bass impact is not the forte of planars, in general. From what I've read, this is due to the flat diaphragm, which simply pushes less air at your ears than a dynamic driver would. Outstanding impact in a planar is still going to fall short of pretty good impact in a dynamic. Something like a Fostex is in an entirely different league when it comes to the visceral feel of bass.

That said, you are right to go balanced. The additional power and control that balanced offers should help improve the impact of the bass. Likewise, an amp that can push a lot of current helps considerably. I don't know enough about the Jot to tell you if that's an example, but Audio-gd and Questyle amps sound amazing with LCDs.

Lastly, the X is a definite improvement over the 2F when it comes to bass and treble, but you won't get full on chest-thumping impact or extremely smooth extended highs. For those particular characteristics, I would recommend a dynamic, such as the Elex or the Clear. Those two areas are much more the things that dynamic drivers do best. What the X excels at is detail in the mids and bass, without being vocal forward or shouty, and depth to the music. While I do think the X is superior to the 2F, I've found them different enough to keep both. The 2F being a comparatively laid-back, relaxing listen.

Oh, and you shouldn't ever have to pay more than $950 for an LCD-X. Plenty of b-stock, refurbies, and used options available. Keep an eye on this thread for deals (including this deal on an X): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...the-first-post.692119/page-1868#post-14873038

Hope that helps!

Just learning how to use the Quote... forgive my noobiness,,, Pythora, on another note, I'm guessing that you checked out the LCD 3's at some point. How did they compare to the X's?

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 36
Just learning how to use the Quote... forgive my noobiness,,, Pythora, on another note, I'm guessing that you checked out the LCD 3's at some point. How did they compare to the X's?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the LCD-3. From what I've read, it's a sidegrade to the X, offering a different signature but not any more technically capable. I liked the idea of the X's more neutral signature better than the 3's lusher, warmer, thicker one. Based on everything I've seen, picking between the two is simply a matter of choosing the kind of sound you like better. Of course, the X is easy to find under $1000, while the 3 is definitely not.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 36

The 3 Fazor (post 2016 revision) have smoother treble, a larger soundstage, more liquid mids (the X has a 5-6K peak, the 3 doesn't), and better resolution and clarity. The X has a slight mid bass bump as well and sub bass that rolls off before 20HZ. The 3 bass is pretty much linear down to 10HZ with no roll off, but sounds less impactful because it doesn’t have a mid bass hump. They’re both awesome cans, but the 3 is definitely the more technical of the two. The 3 Fazor is my favorite Audeze to date, but I haven’t heard the 4 or 4Z.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back