LCD TV's - full HD, 100Hz, is it worth it?
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 25
while it's true that marketing pros will try their best to confuse the buyer with a range of ways to 'interpret' or omit certain measurements, I have been stalling and procrastinating long enough on an LCD screen about 37-42" that I have become convinced that refresh rate, contrast, and full 1080p will indeed make a difference. yet I still haven't pulled the trigger, and hope to wait at least another month until I do. truth be told, my 42" plasma resolves "only" to 720 but sports and other HD channels look fine on it, as do computer input and Xbox 360 via HDMI. but as other posters here pointed out, for a bright room, a screen that will be used for HDTV (air or cable), blueray or Xbox, and/or computing should be the highest affordable spec LCD...

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #17 of 25
To people who say 1080P is a must, yes it is great to have but. Look at a Pioneer Elite Pro-950 a 42" Plasma only 720P and it will trounce anything out there other than the larger 1080P versions of itself.

Sep 23, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 25
Honestly... in the 40-42" range, IMO, the necessity of 1080p becomes questionable... especially if the set is of good quality. 1080p doesn't become very obvious until you hit the 50" range when you start stretching the picture more.

I'm not saying there aren't differences, just that while sitting 8 feet away you're going to be hard-pressed to point out those differences.

k701smile.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for an LCD tv, around the 40"-42" ballpark. I've noticed that plain, simple 42" HD Integrated LCD's can be as cheap as $1,000 from the right sources, wheras if you invest into 'Full HD' and '100Hz refresh rate' screens, price rockets up to around $1,800 for the same size.

Is it worth the extra cost? What actual benefit is there in going for the top-tier models?

No its not worth it ... 1080p content is rare, expensive & too ahead of its time.

720p is just fine upto 42" .

also ..

A Filmmaker has made a post (google it) that 100 Hz LCDs are bad for real movie experience .. because actualy real roles at 24 fps ..whereas 100 hz makes it look artificial.

I ve got 40" Sony Bravia V series 720p .... its great although Contrast is poor.

the real thing u should focus on is Contrast. Believe me ...these people market the Resolution but the LCD's just suck at Contrast even today.

What u should really look in a LCD is contrast & nothing else... 50/60 Hz is just more than enough with no blur unless u play high speed video Games.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly... in the 40-42" range, IMO, the necessity of 1080p becomes questionable... especially if the set is of good quality. 1080p doesn't become very obvious until you hit the 50" range when you start stretching the picture more.

I'm not saying there aren't differences, just that while sitting 8 feet away you're going to be hard-pressed to point out those differences.

k701smile.gif

What???

That's like saying people with 22" computer monitors should be using them at 800x600.

The fact is, if you want to play content at 1080p, whether it be movies or games (film and broadcast content might be rare, but HD gaming isn't), you can't without a screen that can output at that resolution. Just try A/Bing a 360 game at both resolutions. The difference is night and day, sort of like the difference between 720p and 576i (PAL) or 525i (NTSC).

Noone can sit there with a straight face and tell me that although they see a difference between 720p and PAL/NTSC, they don't notice one between 720p and 1080p, or that a 720p plasma screen displays a more detailed picture than 1080p LCD. That's just LOL.

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #21 of 25
Got a Sony Bravia KDL-46V4100 last week for $1399. It's my first flatscreen and I haven't been able to tear myself away yet. Looking for the proper hard drive to supplement C/V's HD 20 hour capacity as 20 is just not enough for me. Figure a 500 GB hard drive shoul be enough though I haven't bothered with the math. Jusy plug it to the DVR's usb port and we're good to go.
I taped Allison Krause and Union Station this afTERNOON AND i'M NOT ABOUT TO DELETE IT ANYTIME SOON.
Sports and animal jungel shows show best. I also did The Matrix to watch it in H/D. I tell you, I' a happy guy.
Next on my list may be a Baldwin Upright and a lyricist to go with it. Having a great time I am, having a great time.

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 25
A good dvd player with a solid 3:2 pulldown solves the 24fps film problem.

Movies are also being shot increasingly on digital, instead of film.

When you purchase a new tv, don't you want it to be future-proof? 1080p is clearly the future. If you plan on hanging on to it for awhile, I'd spring for 1080p even on a 42".

Saying 720p is good enough is basically saying that you shouldn't bother ripping your files at anything above 128 if you don't have good headphones. Why hamstring yourself?

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 25
HD....

IS...

AMAZING...

AMAZING-ER, THAN A ZING-ER BURG-ER.

The olympics in HD was amazing.

I'm six-teen, so I can't get the amaz-ing, HD. So I cant watch Tenacious D, or me and KG. In HD.

BUT, I will be building myself a guitar.

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To people who say 1080P is a must, yes it is great to have but. Look at a Pioneer Elite Pro-950 a 42" Plasma only 720P and it will trounce anything out there other than the larger 1080P versions of itself.

Second that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back