LCD owners - what happens when you cover your grill?
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

donkeywalker

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own both LCDx and LCD3f, and today I accidentally covered part of grill (not exactly cover, but put my hand close to the grill in the air) and got pretty amusing result. The soundstage collapsed a bit, but the resulting sound is more airy and more refined.

Edit: upon further observation, its a slightly brighter, thiner, and lean sound.

The effect start to happen with your hands put 1cm to 2cm away from the driver, and your hand doesn't need to touch the driver.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Covering the back of sensitive planar magnetics is akin to introducing all kinds of reflections to the sound, thus creating a lot of nulls and peaks throughout the midrange. It's not a more airy or refined sound at all, but it is no doubt a colder/brighter sound.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Covering the back of sensitive planar magnetics is akin to introducing all kinds of reflections to the sound, thus creating a lot of nulls and peaks throughout the midrange. It's not a more airy or refined sound at all, but it is no doubt a colder/brighter sound.

I think I agree with the brighter part. Placing my hand 1cm away from the grill, I think by more airy and refined, I feel the sound to be thinner, and has less of the "lush" or "reverb" feeling, and more of a leaness and lightness in the sound - but such effect also make the sound feel cleaner in terms of imagine. I'm driving the LCDs with WA7 and WA7TP

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 5
In my opinion, it is different, but not better in any sense of the word.

I also think it is not better, but an entire different sound signature. To me if I listen to the cans with my hand placed 1cm away from the driver, I do think I can get used to the sound and won't came to the conclusion that it is worse either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back