LCD-3 or LCD-2 or any other?
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DrMIS

Head-Fier
I know we need to wait more, but I cannot resist to start this topic now as of October 24, 2011.

So far, all seem to agree that LCD-3 is better than LCD-2 while some folks don't like the price of LCD-3.

The question is whether the price of LCD-3 can be justified, or whether LCD-2 would be the best value for the money.

I started my journey to headphones with cheap earbuds, and tried Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD 800 at the highest level.  I was moving towards LCD-2, but am hesitating now due to LCD-3.  Currently, I am staying with my Denon, and want to satisfy my ears further.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 21
In this short period of time, three people have already voted.  Thank you so much.  I would also appreciate it if you could provide some reasons for your choice.

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 21
You should try to find other HFers in your area, attend a meet or mini-meet, or find a local dealer that sells Audezes.  There are a lot of nice people in the community who won't mind meeting up with you during the weekend to let you hear their gear.  Due to the subjectivity of the hobby, I'd suggest putting your effort into demoing gear before making up your mind.

Granted, getting information beforehand is great, but it's up to whether you'll let the various opinions floating around the forum color your opinions beforehand.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 21
LCDs are fantastic at what they do - but they don't do everything (well, I haven't heard the 3's, maybe for that price they do do everything).

One to rule them all doesn't work for music.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
You should try to find other HFers in your area, attend a meet or mini-meet, or find a local dealer that sells Audezes.  There are a lot of nice people in the community who won't mind meeting up with you during the weekend to let you hear their gear.  Due to the subjectivity of the hobby, I'd suggest putting your effort into demoing gear before making up your mind.

Granted, getting information beforehand is great, but it's up to whether you'll let the various opinions floating around the forum color your opinions beforehand.

I agree.  I just don't have access to those events because I live in a rural area in the mid-east area of the US.  I have requested a loaner program from Audeze, but it takes too long time here.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
I know we need to wait more, but I cannot resist to start this topic now as of October 24, 2011.

So far, all seem to agree that LCD-3 is better than LCD-2 while some folks don't like the price of LCD-3.

The question is whether the price of LCD-3 can be justified, or whether LCD-2 would be the best value for the money.

I started my journey to headphones with cheap earbuds, and tried Denon AH-D7000 and Sennheiser HD 800 at the highest level.  I was moving towards LCD-2, but am hesitating now due to LCD-3.  Currently, I am staying with my Denon, and want to satisfy my ears further.

Although the LCD3 is better in every way to the LCD2r2, the r2 is the best value for the money. That's just the nature of this hobby.

As whether the price can be justified, that's something you say with your pocketbook. Among the folks at the recent Irvine meet, there were five of us (including myself) whom's ears I would trust (even though we all have differing tastes, I know where everyone is coming from.) Out of us five, there was only one who consider the the purchase of the LCD3. The others felt that the price "could not be justified" and therefore will keep their wallets in their pockets.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
But to be fair to the loyal opposition, I think most/all of those five are very well-acquainted with high-end electrostats, so it's a tough crowd.

Yes, but at least four of five still love and own some of the best dynamics out there. We're not all STAX mafia. I voted "other" that is for the R10. 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 21
I attended RMAF and heard the LCD-3 / LF combination Sunday at 9 AM when the noise level and crowd were minimal.  Magical.  Since RMAF I have sold my HE-500's and an SAA cable to fund the LCD-3's.     

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Stax 009 > HD800 > LCD2

Hope to hear the LCD3 in a few weeks at the NY meet but based on the impressions so far from Head-Fi'ers I respect I'm not expecting to be blown away by it. In my experience with the LCD2s I found that it's smooth sounds are nice if thats your kind of thing. As a detail nut it just didn't do it for me.

The best advice is to go out and do your best to audition what you like before you buy it!

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Stax 009 > HD800 > LCD2

Hope to hear the LCD3 in a few weeks at the NY meet but based on the impressions so far from Head-Fi'ers I respect I'm not expecting to be blown away by it. In my experience with the LCD2s I found that it's smooth sounds are nice if thats your kind of thing. As a detail nut it just didn't do it for me.

The best advice is to go out and do your best to audition what you like before you buy it!

I'm not a "detail nut" and still find the HD800 to be a much better headphone than the LCD-2.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 21
In my experience, between the LCD-2s and the HD800, it really depends on amplification. Imo, the HD800 needs a amp that costs at least around $1000 like a Littledot Mk6/8  or Woo Wa6se. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 21

There are some very good amps for lesser price.. HD800 just needs a good match. My matrix M-stage does a wonderful job driving the HD800 and i think it would be very difficult to find something better.
Quote:
In my experience, between the LCD-2s and the HD800, it really depends on amplification. Imo, the HD800 needs a amp that costs at least around $1000 like a Littledot Mk6/8  or Woo Wa6se. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back