LCD-3, LCD-XC and amp choices?
Aug 25, 2016 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Saeglopur

Head-Fier
I've been reading a lot of the topics related to what amps people like with the LCDs and I'm stuck trying to decide for one whether the LCD XC or 3 is the better choice for me

As far as amps go I'm considering the mjolnir 2, burson conductor v2 and the violectric V200 and oppo ha1
In reality these are all a bit above what I'd like to spend right now but they seem to be the choices.
Any other suggestions are welcome as long as they're sub $1000

I'm looking for something I can listen to just about everything with, classical, metal, acoustic, etc. if I've left or any other details let me know!

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 10
I've been reading a lot of the topics related to what amps people like with the LCDs and I'm stuck trying to decide for one whether the LCD XC or 3 is the better choice for me

As far as amps go I'm considering the mjolnir 2, burson conductor v2 and the violectric V200 and oppo ha1
In reality these are all a bit above what I'd like to spend right now but they seem to be the choices.
Any other suggestions are welcome as long as they're sub $1000

I'm looking for something I can listen to just about everything with, classical, metal, acoustic, etc. if I've left or any other details let me know!
Not for sure about the other amps but the MJ2 works well with Planars. I've heard it with Ether-C's and it was quite good.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 10
So, I haven't found anyone with the LCD-3/Aune X7s amp paired up. I just got my X7s today and I am impressed. Now to preface... This is my first Class A, Balanced amp, so I don't have a lot of experience with amp setups for the LCD-3. At the 2017 SoCal CanJam, I only heard them on the amp they had there.

Their definitely is a difference feeding the LCD-3 with this amp. I am using my Schiit Fulla 2 as my DAC.

My other DAC/AMP is the Creative Sound Blaster X7.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I am using Liquid Carbon with my LCD 3. Sounds great.

May 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
I got the Deckard this weekend and compared it with my current options.

I could tell a difference in the Deckard's DAC compared to the Fulla 2. The Deckard DAC seemed to be a little brighter and tighter than the Fulla 2. It seemed to mostly cure my complaint of some songs sounded a little congested in comparison to the Fulla 2.

I could not tell a real difference between the Deckard and the Sound Blaster X7 DACs. They shared the same signature and improvements to the Fulla 2.

However.... I compared the AMP in the Deckard to my AUNE X7s and I could not tell a difference. I used the pre-out of the Deckard into my Aune and volume matched them. A/B-ing the two with the 1/4 inch connection, the Aune amp did reflect the Deckards DAC without any changes to my ear.

When I swapped to the Balanced output on the AUNE X7s with the Deckards amp it seemed to be even better then the Deckard's output.

So...I believe the best route for me is to get a better DAC and use my Aune X7s amp instead of the Deckard.

One other very weird thing that happened with the Deckard. After having it on for about 8 hours, it suddenly just lost it's power. By this i mean the sound went very quite. I turned it to high gain, and volume all the way up and it was still very soft in sound. It even did this from the Pre-out. My Aune had to be turned all the way up with the Deckard volume all the way up...and it was still soft.

I checked the connections, turned it off and disconnected the power.... it would still do it. About 24 hours later, it was working properly again?

It is enough of a concern that I would probably return it either way.

May 8, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I think I would suggest the Schiit multibit line. The Bifrost multibit can be had for $399. I have the Yggdrasil and totally love it. I have heard others say that the Mimby sounds just as good as the Bimby but I have not a/b'ed them so I won't say . Both are very good though. The Mojo is another option as it is also very good and is a amp also. I have heard it a few times but not in a A/B situation so will not comment if it is better than the Schiit stuff as they need a amp and that changes things.

May 22, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 10
So, I was able to go to the new Schiit store named the "The Schiitr". It was very cool to test out different setups. My brother bought the Modi Multibit and the Vali 2 together. I was very impressed with the sound that little setup delivered to my LCD-3. The multibit added a significant amount of clarity and separation compared to the Fulla 2 DAC.

I also compared the Vali 2 to my Aune X7s amps balanced output (both with Modi Mulitbit as DAC), and I consistently preferred the Vali 2. The Vali 2 sounded clearer, more defined, and accurate in imagery. It also powered the LCD-3 mostly below the 12 O'clock position.

I really, really loved the Gungnir (multibit) and the Mjolnir 2 combination with my LCD-3, but might be to pricey for me right now.

May 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Bump, looking for some suggestion in the $500-600 range

Saeglopur - I am able to say that the Modi Multibit/Vali 2 combo, with PYST cables (USB & RCA) beat my current setups for my LCD-3. It is just under the $500 mark all together. I previously compared my DAC/AMP set up to the Audeze Deckard ($700 combo DAC/AMP) and did not hear any significant improvement.... but, when I compared this Schiit combo, It was very significant in sound increase. I would put it as a serious recommendation for around $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back