LCD-3 / HD-800 amp
Jun 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #196 of 207
Quote:
If you want a HPA-21, buy a First Watt F1J instead and save some cash while also receiving something that can double as a heater for your listening room :wink:

No offence to Bakoon but not being able to trickle charge while listening is beyond stupid design choice.  Price is also very high given other options at that range.

Have you listened to HPA-21? I just suggested one of the best amps, if not the best, you can get that also fits his price range. If you want a "wire with gain" sound (or lack of sound) of course. If you want a colored sound you have plenty of other amps to choose from.
I agree that it is annoying if you forget to recharge the batteries, but if you listen to headphones more than 6½ hours without a break I think you will soon have other problems...
I care more about the sound than the comfort. Otherwise it's like saying "that red Italian car doesn't have a back seat, that's beyond stupid design choice".
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #198 of 207
Quote:
Have you listened to the F1J? :wink:

Nope, I just googled it and it seems to be an interesting speaker amp! The technology (current drive) seems similar to Bakoon, which is a good sign. For K1000 (and maybe HE6) that amp is probably a better choice. If someone in the Stockholm area is willing to lend me a F1J for one week or so I'd be happy to compare them!
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #202 of 207
Quote:
The LCD-3 has a high, flat impedance  response. This makes it an almost ideal load for  for a tube amp.  Listen for yourself. I run an LCD-3 off a 56/46 amp. Sounds great to me.

Frank,
I listened to your LCD3's at the meet far longer than the HD800.  They were exquisite.  I loved them.  Once again I'm waffling.

My thought is if I bought the 3's I'd sell my 2's.  Whereas, if I bought the 800's I'd probably keep the 2's.   If I'm insane I'd get both.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #207 of 207
From my experience the only amp that performs well with both headphones is the Balancing Act. Unfortunately, even this setup does not represent the best I've heard with the LCD's. The Dynahi was the perfect match with the LCD's and the BA with the HD800's. You sure have chosen two disparate headphones. Short of convincing Frank to make one of his masterpieces for you, you may have to settle on something a little short of perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back