LCD-2 R2 Fazor upgrade worth it?
Jul 1, 2015 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vanhiel

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I recently contacted Audeze about upgrading my LCD-2 R2s with Fazors and it turns out I can for $275 + shipping both ways.

Not knowing anyone in the area with a set I can compare to and my search skills failing to find anything I figured I'd post a thread.

Anyone heard both or know of a review comparing them?  Wondering if it's worth the cash.

Thanks!
-Van

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Some enjoy the Fazor sound, some don't. My EXTENSIVE research on the topic led me to the conclusion that you are essentially trading a bit of response from the ultra low end in order to improve imaging, clarity, and treble. When I say a bit of response, the community as well as the frequency response graphs lead me to believe that the Fazor's roll off at about 40-45 Hz. People agree that the sub bass is still there; it is just a bit weaker under 40 Hz. Frequencies below 40 Hz are considered the deepest frequencies which are rarely used unless listening to music like rap/electronic/organs etc.

If this sounds like something you'd want, I would actually buy your LCD 2.2's for a price that will be cheaper than upgrading towards a new Fazor series. I sent you a PM for further discussion.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 4
I've continued this conversation here, as it's the closest topic (that I can find)

Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/8325#post_11918039
  ... Now, I don't know if I'll like the fazor version because of the more prominent treble. I'm quite sensitive to the low 7 Khz range and don't like forward upper mids and highs in general. Probably, I should try to find a used pre-fazor LCD-2.

I haven't done any comparisons with the non-fazors, but if you're worried about the fazor editions being too forward and having some aggressive treble, I wouldn't be. I'm definitely a bit treble and upper-mid (and lower-mid....and even upper bass) sensitive. I find the fazor treble-mid balance to be spot on.

Unlike the he400, which was recessed in the mids and very uneven in the treble, giving them an often 'screechy' and 'ringy' type characteristic, the lcd2f is just right. Sure, if the recording is forward and edgy, that's what you'll hear; they don't smooth over anything. But, by the same token, smooth recordings will sound smooth. But, providing that your source and amp are producing the goods, you won't miss any detail that is present. And good recordings will sound like just that; the character of the sound is purely down to the character/quality of the recording.

I'd like to get some non-fazors and do a comparison; many say that it has better bass. And that's something that the fazors are slightly lacking IMO. On unfamiliar recordings, I don't get the feeling that i'm really missing anything; the sound appears very well balanced, with plenty of bass.
But with familiar recordings, I notice that there's a certain substance, body, fullness or weight that's missing, that is present with other equipment. I believe that the slight sub 60hz roll-off, that the graphs show, really is quite significant; there's a lot of information in that frequency region, even if there aren't any organ pipe or synth bass notes in the recording.

I understand that the pre-fazor 'phones do the deep bass better. The graphs indicate this also. But, I wonder how much of the great fazor mid and treble balance, and the amazing imaging, that I'd lose with changing to the non-fazor.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your feedback, highly appreciated! I think too much stress is put on the differences in the bass region and extension. I was rather worried about the treble accent. I know that O2/ODAC is not considered an optimal amp for LCD-2, but paired with the pre-fazors I listened to, the combo sounded incredibly balanced, natural, and "musical" to me. I tested them with well known good recordings, so I know they fits perfectly my preferences without any need for using EQ. Hopefully, I'll be able to listen to a fazor version before purchasing, so I can judge for myself, but your comments gave me some peace of mind that the changes from the pre-fazors are not that big to change the signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back