LCD-2 plus Continental v.2 or Rx mkII?
Mar 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #16 of 28
I dont' even get it.  Why do you need a portable amplifier that can drive the LCD-2's...  Are you going to be bringing the LCD-2's outdoors?  I mean, for portable use it just doesnt' seem to make much sense.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
I dont' even get it.  Why do you need a portable amplifier that can drive the LCD-2's...  Are you going to be bringing the LCD-2's outdoors?  I mean, for portable use it just doesnt' seem to make much sense.

I have the CLAS, Continental and LCD-2. No, I don't ever want to bring them outdoors. However, when I travel I can bring this set up with me and have unbelievable sound in my room. It's an awesome rig. The high/low gain switch on the Continental means I can also use it to drive IEMs which I occasionally do.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 28
Well, I know mine is not ALO but I cannot recommend the Ray Samuels Audio SR71-B highly enough. I love mine, run my LCD's balanced and the sound is more like a high quality full sized amp, you would never think it portable. So much power, control and authority. Huge amounts of power. I am listening to Eminem as I type, amp is on medium gain and volume is at 12O'clock with plenty in reserve.

I have had quite a few listen to it and leave scratching their heads in wonderment that this tiny box can sound so full sized! Loads of battery life as well!

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 28

Well, if you live a life like me which is spent a great deal in travelling and in hotels and on movie sets waiting in RV's then you would find a portable amp capable of driving LCD's invaluable!

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 28
That makes sense.  For a second there I was thinking of people wearing LCD-2's in the streets... the horror.

Nah, little or no isolation though I see plenty of people with equal sized headphones with closed backs walking around. usually crappy ones though. I think it is hipster trendy to walk around with full-sized headphones in Vancouver!

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 28
From an already pretty cheap price.  I'm just slightly suspicious though considering it has a price even lower than the ALO RX MKII.  Is this because even though it attempts to imitate the sound of the continental it is inferior to the MKII or what...?  

Quote:
Wow, National just got a $100 price drop!

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #24 of 28
Wow the national is pretty cheap. I guess I'll wait for the reviews for the national before I pull the trigger on these amps. first it was sr71b vs continental vs wait for mkiii. Sigh!

May 3, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 28
HD800s from one of the Continentals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back