LCD-2 or 3 as Companion Phones to the HD800
Apr 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to downsize my headphone inventory recently and decided I would definitely be keeping my HD800's and keeping another phone with a different signature.

The issue is finding a dark companion phone of equal caliber to use for genres like rock and electronica. I've been considering the Audeze phones for their reputation of bass body, punch, and quality. I currently own LCD-2 Rev 2 and it fulfills the dark and bass requirements, however I feel like it's a bit lacking in every other domain.

Does the LCD-3 address this or should I not bother? I've read there are improvements in imaging as well as better treble presentation. Did the bass improve as well?

Another issue would be pairing with a Beta22 which is excellent for LCD-2, not sure if anyone can speak to that for the LCD-3?

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 5
I think you need STAX, but that stuff requires a pretty significant investment between the amp and the phones, so it might not be practical for you.

Finding high end phones with a dark sound signature is hard because manufacturers intentionally engineer high-end phones to be a little on the bright side. This makes the details come through much better and is part of what makes high end gear sound high end. I hate to say it, but you are looking at a very small market. The Audeze are the best example I can think of of a dark high-end phone. Upgrading to the LCD-X is an option. I really think they are a nice upgrade over the LCD-2 and a lot darker (or maybe just more bass-heavy, effectively reducing the highs) than the LCD-3. Go to a local meet and try to listen to a pair of Head-Direct orthos like the HE-6, the RS-1i (the new "improved" Grados are darker than the outgoing models).

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Stax are definitely out of the question for now. Not until I have a stable job and apartment and find $5000 $10K under the kitchen sink :p

I think it's interesting you bring up the X though, I got the idea it was tuned closer to neutral compared to the LCD-2 and 3. Specifically I think it was Mike's review over at headfonia and David Mahler's flagship cross review that gave me that impression. I'll give the X some consideration as well, the price and used availability for either model will have some sway as well.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 5
The X sounds like the 3 but with jacked up bass. It is to the LCD-3 what the HD650 is to the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back