LCD-2 and what amp??
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Saeglopur

Head-Fier
I'm going to be picking up some LCDs soon and Im trying to figure out what amp I should get. I was recommended Schiit Vali/Modi combo, but I realized the Vali is a tube amp hybrid and apparently tube amps have a bit of microphonics? I've never experienced this so I don't know exactly what to expect. I then looked at the Magni which is not a tube amp and I was wondering what would perform better with the LCDs.

PS. I'm brand new to the real audio world, I own some V-Moda M100s and sony earbuds so I've never used any kind of headphone amp before.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 3
Coupling a $1,000 former flagship can with entry level equipment is a mismatch.  They deserve better, if you want them to perform at or near their capability.

There are entire threads elsewhere in the forum devoted to the LCD-2 and what powers it well/the best.  Most can be probably be found in the Summit-Fi sub-section of the this forum.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 3
You want around 2 Vrms into the LCD-2's 70 ohm impedance to reach its "full potential", more if you listen really loud or to very dynamic (classical) music. The Magni/Modi combo will be enough for most listeners even on low gain, and will be capable of as much as 7 Vrms on high gain before clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back