LCD-2 Alternatives
Oct 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm on the fence about side-grading my LCD2 Fazor to something somewhat similar but more comfortable. I find myself not using the Audeze as much as I'd like and I blame the sheer weight and weight distribution of the cans.
I am looking for something of the same quality as the LCD2 and a budget of about $1k (used is fine). I prefer a fun signature and comfort is somewhat important. The Audeze is the only pair I've worn that I'd classify as uncomfortable after 30 minutes. I've tried the 800 and 800S, and prefer the S model but found them both a bit boring. I'm not treble sensitive but I hate the HD700 because the treble is simply out of proportion and sounds tinny and hollow to me. Any recommendations?

TL DR

Need open backed
$1k budget (used is OK)
Comfortable
Fun sound signature
Punchy

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 21
Though not fully open the ZMF Atticus would be a good choice the Cherry is a bit lighter and I found them quite comfortable but didn’t wear them for over 30 minutes though.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 21
I'm on the fence about side-grading my LCD2 Fazor to something somewhat similar but more comfortable. I find myself not using the Audeze as much as I'd like and I blame the sheer weight and weight distribution of the cans.
---
The Audeze is the only pair I've worn that I'd classify as uncomfortable after 30 minutes.

If you have a system dedicated for music listening, ie, you're not going to have the headphones on your head while doing something else like web browsing on the same desktop computer that serves as the source for that system, just get a high back chair and get your head on the headrest to take some of the weight off your neck.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 21
If you have a system dedicated for music listening, ie, you're not going to have the headphones on your head while doing something else like web browsing on the same desktop computer that serves as the source for that system, just get a high back chair and get your head on the headrest to take some of the weight off your neck.
It's not really the weight on my neck that's the issue, it's the headband having a very focused pressure point on my head. All the weight rests in one small area and hurts my head after about an hour max. When I listen to music I do usually rest like you described but it doesn't quite help with my type of issue. I'm at a weird point right now where I really like the LSR 305 and for some reason, I'd almost rather use those than my LCD2, and I don't like that :p I think if I had a more comfy headphone then I'd enjoy it more

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 21
It's not really the weight on my neck that's the issue, it's the headband having a very focused pressure point on my head. All the weight rests in one small area and hurts my head after about an hour max. When I listen to music I do usually rest like you described but it doesn't quite help with my type of issue. I'm at a weird point right now where I really like the LSR 305 and for some reason, I'd almost rather use those than my LCD2, and I don't like that :p I think if I had a more comfy headphone then I'd enjoy it more

Try bending the LCD-2's metal headband and reshape it like how current HiFiMan headbands and the Abyss headband looks like. I did the same to my Superlux HD330 - flatter at the top, bent in at a tighter angle farther out to the ends of the headband., then wear them with the gimbal arms extended farther out.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 21
I know its pretty overpriced but the audeze carbon headband might be the solution ...

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 21
Oct 20, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 21
I know its pretty overpriced but the audeze carbon headband might be the solution ...
I was considering that, I'm just afraid it won't help as much as I think it will. If it was even 50 bucks less expensive I'd probably have it by now :p I have other hobbies to spend money on and 200 dollars for a headband replacement isn't high on my list as of yet :/

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 21
I was considering that, I'm just afraid it won't help as much as I think it will. If it was even 50 bucks less expensive I'd probably have it by now :p I have other hobbies to spend money on and 200 dollars for a headband replacement isn't high on my list as of yet :/

I actually JUST cancelled an order on the carbon-fiber headband. I just cannot justify spending $200 for a headband when it probably takes $25 to produce.
I did order the Lohb-strap, so I'll see how that goes.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 21
I actually JUST cancelled an order on the carbon-fiber headband. I just cannot justify spending $200 for a headband when it probably takes $25 to produce.
I did order the Lohb-strap, so I'll see how that goes.
If you remember, definitely shoot me a message when you have an opinion on it! I doubt my perfectionist side would enjoy having a contraption like that on such an expensive pair of cans but who knows :p

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 21
your thoughts on the Focal Elear? It doesnt have the midrange of the LCD2, but sure is punchy and pretty comfortable fit.
I haven't heard an Elear yet but I really want to. It certainly looks more evenly balanced and comfortable

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Agree with Craig the Elears are something to look at if you want to stay in the same type of sound signature. You should also take a trip to Pittsburgh and go see him at Music to my Ears as they have a buttload of great headphones and other equipment worth the trip. Don’t let him know this but he is a pretty good guy also.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 21
Agree with Craig the Elears are something to look at if you want to stay in the same type of sound signature. You should also take a trip to Pittsburgh and go see him at Music to my Ears as they have a buttload of great headphones and other equipment worth the trip. Don’t let him know this but he is a pretty good guy also.
Well my fiancee and I are planning a trip to Pittsburgh anyway to visit a friend so maybe I should drag her into the shop haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back