LC Audio upgrade for Philips 963SA (with two clocks!)
Jun 21, 2004 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
I happened to see that LC Audio offers an upgrade package for Philips 963SA. The special is that it includes two separate clocks, one for CD and one for SACD. Also an upgrade of the op-amp in the analog output to AD8066 and a few Black Gate caps.
I was not impressed by the sound of my stock 963SA, so this may be something I will do. The kit is delivered with photos and instructions on a CD-ROM. Price is about 400 Euro incl. wordwide shipping, or it can be installed by LC Audio or the national distributor.

www.lcaudio.com

Jun 21, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Check about the LC Audio zap filter mkII also. The zap filter makes a huge improvement in the players bass, dynamics and smoothness.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 5
I checked the website and it looks like you also get the zap filter for your $400 euros. You wont believe how much better the 963sa sounds with the LC Audio upgrades. I wasnt happy with the stock 963sa at all but after the mods the player is exceptional.
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't think they include the Zap-filter, but they interchange the op-amp in the analog stage to improve audio quality. They don't say why they chose this solution, but it seems to me that they think this is better spent money. The price is the same for this kit with two clocks as for one clock + Zap-filter. I beleive it would be even better with the Zap-filter as an additional upgrade.

They say that two clocks are necessary for full reclocking, and that should mean that many other clock modifications are incomplete, probably only modifying CD playback.
It seems that it should be possible to combine the LC Audio modification with SacdMods (or most of them).

Jun 21, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
I don't think they include the Zap-filter, but they interchange the op-amp in the analog stage to improve audio quality. They don't say why they chose this solution, but it seems to me that they think this is better spent money. The price is the same for this kit with two clocks as for one clock + Zap-filter. I beleive it would be even better with the Zap-filter as an additional upgrade.

They say that two clocks are necessary for full reclocking, and that should mean that many other clock modifications are incomplete, probably only modifying CD playback.
It seems that it should be possible to combine the LC Audio modification with SacdMods (or most of them).

Your right I saw one clock with the zap filter for $400 euros. I can tell you the sacdmods zap filter/ power supply caps mod alone in the 963sa got the player close to the sacdmods 555es. But,the sacdmods 555es player has both upgrades and there is an additional refinement not present in the 963sa, however, and well worth the extra cost. The 963sa is still a joy to listen too even without the new clock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back