Layla's
Feb 8, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 5
I've owned JH 11's for years. Always done the job and sounded fine for the purposes of a touring musician.

I wanted to get a set of custom in ears that were as flat response as possible for mixing/masting projects while in hotel rooms.
My usual Sennheiser 600's being open backed just allowed too much ambient noise/distractions.

So I spent the bread and bought Layla's after discussing my needs with JH.

What ensued was a continual stream disappointments.
Basically they sound like crap.
Any track that might be considered as a reference sounds ridiculous.
Steely Dan - snare drums sound like dark wet cardboard boxes. Fagens voice sounds dark and muffled.
No high end. Boomy, poorly defined low end. Mush.
on and on.

Sent them back for refit and testing - came back sounding the same.

They simply sound like no other transducer I've ever heard.(in a bad way).

My question to the brain trust here at head-fi - does my experience match yours? Or is something serious wrong with my set.
Customer service was once great at JH. Now its "millenials that are too cool to give a crap about customer service".

Anyone out there think these things sound good?

Who makes a custom IEM that is flat, and sounds at least as good as Seen 600's - if not better???

thanks for the input.
U18t

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 5
No question U18's at least have a more complete response. ie - any high end and upper mids at all compared to my Layas'.

I found the 18's to have a significant bass boost that while desirable to many, is more than my taste.

But I certainly appreciate the reply! (and the reminder that IEMS can deliver a complete hight end picture like the 18's do).

Feb 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Here's the Layla. The upper-mids has hardly any gain, and will not sound natural, sounding recessed with low dynamics.

Layla-Min-bass.jpg

Since in-ears do not utilize the gains on the ears (exterior, not the canal), and the upper body around the neck, there needs to be some boost in the upper-mids to make up for the absence of those gains, but above shows just flat, which is not desireable.

Another expensive iem that suffers low dynamics is EE Phantom. Such a wonky response!

Phantom-S2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back