LAX Hilton Can Meet 10/18/2008 Impressions
Oct 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #46 of 87
Hey all I had a great time thanks David for organizing.

I think we all had a blast. There was a ton of great stuff at the meet, this was my first meet and what a treat it was!

I hung out with Luis and Aaron, I love making new friends. Aaron let me try his Shure SE530's and I have to say, I actually like them better than my Triple.fi's, the Shure's have shown me just how large the treble bump on the Trips is. In comparison the Shure's were just as detailed but more neutral and in some cases I found them to have better control, seeing as they were a bit flatter, I also listened to the the Shure SE 420's and man do they rock when listening to live songs like "Hotel California" on Hell Freezes Over. Another thing I learned in regards to the portable world, is the importance of a decent LOD, I have my diy LOD which gets the job done, but when I compared mine to Aaron's ALO Cotton Dock, I was astounded to find his sounds much airer, open, and at times clearer. Cable myth debunked for me, I guess... Prior to this I thought they had no effect.

Luis(LFF), top notch guy, his disks are outstanding! For those of you who don't know him he has some great vinyl rips, I have never heard anything like them, he provides the amazingly clean crisp sound that can only be achieved with thousands of dollars invested into LP's and turntables , all in a CD. Name a album and he probably has it, if not he can get it, he is truly a music master, he can recommend great music, and even tell you where your CD was pressed
wink.gif
PM him he's a great guy.

Bruce's (Ferbose) rig I have to say was by far the nicest K1000 set up I have heard, super full rich sound, and one of the largest sound stages around, I think I actually preferred it to franks K1000 rig, although it couldn't beat out Franks other rig. He has my totally optimal K1000 rig, rest assured down the road you will see this exact setup on my desk, oppo to a benchmark DAC1 to his Cayin HA-1A(with tube replacements). As I said above very warm and detailed, yet with a full body, hitting all the notes I wanted them to hit flawlessly, great bass, and detailed highs, what more do you want. Defiantly In the top five rigs at the meet, IMO.

So I sat down with Ray Samuels and listened to his "mystery amp"/ "giant tube amp". I places the Sony R10's on my noggin and was enveloped in a warm, oasis of auditory bliss, thinking this must be an amp that cost thousands, and expressing how much I liked the sound, Ray uncovered the "mystery" and I was absolutely floored. What had been powering those cans you ask? A TINY, about the the size of two 9v batteries, portable amp. The P-51 Mustang, Ray's brand new addition to his portable line up seems like it has more power than any of his other portables, and it still exhibits that classic RSA sound sig, but with a almost tube like, warmth and smoothness. At under $400 it think this is going to be a hit.

Next, Frank Cooter is a real master. He had his custom tube amplifier hooked up to some Victor HP-DX-1000's, I was listening to "Chill Out" - John Lee Hooker, and man oh man, this was an amazing experience, again just like K1000 rig, GIANT sound stage, warm full bodied sound (you can tell what I like) with the detail of the finest of the finest amps out there, even though it had a bit of tube hum, probably seeing as we had so much equipment plugged in. But man what an amazing achievement to be able to assemble such amazing rigs.

Also Smyth research's rig was quite interesting, sudo-suround, a very intriguing idea... especially since you can exchange room profiles from what I hear. So you and your friend can essentially swap the sound sigs of each others rooms.

There was only one complaint, since we were in separate rooms, we we kind of isolated from each other, which on one hand is a good thing sound wise, but experientially I think it would have been so much better in one large ballroom, just my two cents. But we talked about it and I understand the problems associated, If can jam has to be this way so be it, no matter what when audiophiles get together we have a good time.

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bruce's (Ferbose) rig I have to say was by far the nicest K1000 set up I have heard, super full rich sound, and one of the largest sound stages around, I think I actually preferred it to franks K1000 rig, although it couldn't beat out Franks other rig. He has my totally optimal K1000 rig, rest assured down the road you will see this exact setup on my desk, oppo to a benchmark DAC1 to his Cayin HA-1A(with tube replacements). As I said above very warm and detailed, yet with a full body, hitting all the notes I wanted them to hit flawlessly, great bass, and detailed highs, what more do you want. Defiantly In the top five rigs at the meet, IMO.

No offense to you or to Ferbose, and personal preferences can certainly be a factor, but there is no way that the Cayin HA-1A can reasonably be called better than FrankCooter's GM70 amp with K1000s. Frank's amp drives the K1000 better than any headphone amp or power amp I have heard, including some damn good ones I own. The Cayin is a nice amp, but it isn't in the same league with Frank's.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #48 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no way that the Cayin HA-1A can reasonably be called better than FrankCooter's GM70 amp with K1000s. Frank's amp drives the K1000 better than any headphone amp or power amp I have heard, including some damn good ones I own. The Cayin is a nice amp, but it isn't in the same league with Frank's.

Huh? I didn't read anyone call Cayin "better" than GM70. They are talking about Ferbose's Benchmark DAC signature complementing Cayin's signature, the combo of which I have always enjoyed myself...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end though, Audio Note+GM70 amp sounds quite similar to my Benchmark+Cayin in terms of overall tone. Frank's amp definitely sounds smoother and more detailed. Cayin does have a bit more power and dynamics. If Frank's setup represents the ideal result for K1000, then I am pretty glad my setup is not too far behind.

What brand tubes, including EL84 are you using these days anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #49 of 87
First of all, I didn't even read Ferbose's comments and was not responding to them. I mentioned him because my intent was not to diss his rig. While I understand that jordanross' comments relate in part to synergy and to personal preference, the perhaps too strong reaction I had was to phrases like "by far the nicest K1000 setup" and "actually preferred it to frank's K1000 rig" and "totally optimal K1000 rig" that having a "flawless" presentation. The only reason I posted my reaction was that someone who hasn't heard both might actually have the same thought that I did, which is that he was asserting that the Cayin bettered the GM70 amp. That's all.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #50 of 87
Quote:

The only reason I posted my reaction was that someone who hasn't heard both might actually have the same thought that I did, which is that he was asserting that the Cayin bettered the GM70 amp. That's all.

Voltron,

Like I said trust YOUR OWN EARS. My ears say I like ferbose's rig better, people shouldn't go out and buy a Cayin just because I like it more.

I find it to be the nicest K1000 set up I have heard so far, and all thought the GM70 may be your preference it is not mine. It's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it, if you disagree so be it. I love Franks other amp I just didn't like his K1000 rig. Also I am the judge of what is flawless to my ears, so no matter what your opinion is, I am not obligated to hold it as well.

Now back on topic...

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #51 of 87
To each his own.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #52 of 87
it's a meet so opinions don't really count
tongue.gif

better put and more realistically meet impressions should in no way be considered conclusive since we are only listening briefly under less than ideal conditions and usually there is a lot of foreign components and even music in the chain as well.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #54 of 87
Okay, here are my impressions from this meet. Although I was not able to do as much listening as I would have liked, I had a great time meeting and talking with fellow head-fiers.

I briefly listened to Blubliss's massive table of audio goodness, R10, L3000, Orpheus, O2, all sounded wonderful, just different flavors of audio orgasmic goodness. I wasn't familiar with the music, but every combination of headphone and amp were top notch, very transparent, clear and musical.

Frank Cooter's amps were physically beautiful, from the wonderful woodwork to the blue glow of the tubes, and they both sounded great with the JVC and K1000. Thank you for bringing them, I'm sure it was a chore just bringing those behemoth amps to the meet.

Unfortunately Eddie Current did not have the Aficionado working, but I was able to listen to his newest version of the Lunch Box and thought it sounded pretty good for a tiny tube amp. I could definitely live with that in a secondary or office rig.

Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang sounded great, it helps to have a wonderful Meridien source and a decent pair of R10 headphones. It really is amazing the sound that came out of that microscopic amp.

I wish I could have listened to the Luxman amp and the Eddie Current HD2, but unfortunately ran out of time.

I heard the generic setup for the Smyth Research surround sound and was amazed at close it sounded to having a true surround system. It would be great for late night movie watching.

It was great to see fellow head-fiers and share some quality time.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #55 of 87
The Eddie Current Aficionado was just a shell. He said he didn't have time to put together a full amp. It looked fantastic and will probably sound the same.

I listened to the Luxman amp and was very impressed with it. I thought it was as good as any solid state amp that I have heard. Granted I'm a tube guy, but still it was a great sounding amp. I just wish I tried it with different cans and music that I was familiar with. If the price was a bit lower, and the footprint a bit smaller, I bet they would sell quite a few of them.

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #56 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a meet so opinions don't really count
tongue.gif

better put and more realistically meet impressions should in no way be considered conclusive since we are only listening briefly under less than ideal conditions and usually there is a lot of foreign components and even music in the chain as well.

Yeah, I don't really like to go into too much detail with my impressions of gear at meets. Especially amps, because 90% of the "WOW" that most people (including myself) hear is simply the fact that they have the amp cranked to a higher volume than they normally do because of the high ambient noise. But a headphone switchbox comparing to your own amp helps with that one.

I'm buried with work right now, so I can't post too much detail right now. I played too much over the weekend.
tongue.gif

Just wanted to say thanks to Zippy2001 for the door prizes, and for letting me borrow your RCA to 3.5mm cable.

I didn't get a chance to listen to a lot of gear this time, I spent too much time running and driving around, and trying to not utterly destroy JP Number's Audio Technica headphones.
tongue.gif

Yeah, the DIY table thing was a bust. I don't think we'll be doing it for CanJam. I think I'd rather do a DIY focused Meet in the future instead. Perhaps Amish "Amp" building community meets in the future will be in order.

-Ed

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #57 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What brand tubes, including EL84 are you using these days anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

The 5751 is NOS Philips (made in US) from the 80s. 12BH7 is a Tung-Sol. Not sure if it is used or NOS. I bought an odd batch of seven old 12BH7's from Ebay and picked out the most usable. For EL84 I followed Jon L's suggestion for Russian 6P14P-EV (made in 80s), bought used from a head-fier. I can only afford inexpensive modern and old tubes, and use my ears to pick out the suitable ones.

Just like what Edwood said, after a few meets we learn the limitations of meet impressions, but nevertheless meets like this one are great fun.

K1000 comparisons really suffer the most in a meet condition. I wish there could be a K1000 area where no talking is allowed.
tongue.gif

I would really love to hear Frank's amp next to Foo_me's Zanden to see how they compare, if that could happen in CamJam 2009. Would not it be cool to have a K1000 "quiet" room at CanJam with just hi-end amps and lots of K1000? In the mean time I am starting to watch for 5751 tubes on Ebay. Maybe if I get the right one I can replicate some of that treble magic on Frank's super-duper amp. How did you do it, Frank?
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #58 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5751 is NOS Philips (made in US) from the 80s. 12BH7 is a Tung-Sol. Not sure if it is used or NOS. I bought an odd batch of seven old 12BH7's from Ebay and picked out the most usable. For EL84 I followed Jon L's suggestion for Russian 6P14P-EV (made in 80s), bought used from a head-fier. I can only afford inexpensive modern and old tubes, and use my ears to pick out the suitable ones.

Just like what Edwood said, after a few meets we learn the limitations of meet impressions, but nevertheless meets like this one are great fun.

K1000 comparisons really suffer the most in a meet condition. I wish there could be a K1000 area where no talking is allowed.
tongue.gif

I would really love to hear Frank's amp next to Foo_me's Zanden to see how they compare, if that could happen in CamJam 2009. Would not it be cool to have a K1000 "quiet" room at CanJam with just hi-end amps and lots of K1000? In the mean time I am starting to watch for 5751 tubes on Ebay. Maybe if I get the right one I can replicate some of that treble magic on Frank's super-duper amp. How did you do it, Frank?
beerchug.gif

There are a lot of small rooms available for CanJam. We are definitely considering having a dedicated K1000 room and probably Electrostat's room. Along with having dedicated Lounges where socializing, eating, and drinking will primarily take place. Past meets have been pretty free and wild about food and drinks around gear. I'd like to see that change.

-Ed

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #59 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are definitely considering having a dedicated K1000 room and probably Electrostat's room.
-Ed

Yes, yes. BTW, do we know the dates for CanJam? Some of us need to know many months ahead to *definitely* be able to make it
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #60 of 87
Here are a few quick impressions from some of the gear there

Luxman amp This was one sweet sounding amp and I could see that being someones main rig amp for sure. It was fast and transparent with no high end glare at all. I listened to these with the AD2000s and AKG 701s. I am not a fan of the 701s but this amp served them well. Great soundstage both front and back as well as realistic tone reproduction. They still lacked the ability to connect emotionally but they were less distant sounding with this amp. The amp did a nice job with the AD2000s and it seems to me that the AD2000s may favor solid state. The Luxman was right up there with some of the better amps. I would pick this over a Beta amp it has greater PRaT .

HeadAmp Pico I got the chance to listen to these at Irondreamers rig, they match well with the AD2000s . If I had a laptop and needed a dac/amp this would be the one for me.

Grace 902 This is one slick piece of gear, really nice amp and dac. Kicked back with some Sarah Mclachlan on this with my AD2000s, sound was really nice, not Luxman quality but nice. Very even sounding amp but not totally engaging could be a great rig for someone with multiple transports/digital sources.

RSA Mustang It is always great to see Ray, he adds fun to every meet he attends. The amp sounded great and more so because of its size. It is really tiny but has large bold character with amp emphasis on punchy bass and mids. This fun amp and could be a nice commuter amp. It looked great as well. The SR-71a was there and is a winner. It was not as refined as the original but had a touch Ray's newer sound mixed in with the original. I think a lot of people will really like this amp and it sounds as the first run is selling out fast.

Smyth Audio I only got to do the demo in the meet room not the custom demo. This technology is amazing and as good as or better than many 5.1 systems I have heard. We cued up Saving Private Ryan and holy cow it was sonically more immersive than a movie theater. The surround was very well done and totally fools the ear . The chair platform is what makes this for me. When the tanks are closing in on Tom Hanks you really feel the tank and it is very authentic feeling. Anyone who loves surround and watches movies on headphones regularly would love this system.

Eddie Current Always a treat to see Craig he a great resource of knowledge particularly tube amp designs. The Aficionado amp looked stunning and really wowed me with its tip of the hat the Moth Audio aesthetic but with a modern slant. I'll am very eager to hear this amp once complete.

more later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back