Lawton Audio Upgrades
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

N0sferatu

500+ Head-Fier
I've been having a slight rattle in my right speaker in the Denon AH-D7000 I own.  It's under higher bass applications but figured maybe I'll contact his services for a look at it with a possible upgrade to boot.  Has anyone done business with them lately?  I tried sending an e-mail this morning and got an error on the submission web page.  

This is what I get when I submit

Serif Web Resources
Form Submission
Your form could not be submitted. Please contact the owner of the site where you completed the form for further details. (Sending suspended for this account. For more information, please check the inbox of the email address associated with your AWS account.)

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 8
Try this email................

Mark Lawton <marklaw@cox.net>

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 8
  Try this email................

Mark Lawton <marklaw@cox.net>

Thanks I sent him an e-mail awaiting reply.  I see you have LA7000 in your signature.  How substantial of a difference are we talking in upgrade on the D7000?  I was thinking since I have something loose in the right driver might as well have someone with experience take a look at it and add some items to the unit.  I was thinking Stage 2.  Thoughts?  Thanks!  

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 8

Thanks I sent him an e-mail awaiting reply.  I see you have LA7000 in your signature.  How substantial of a difference are we talking in upgrade on the D7000?  I was thinking since I have something loose in the right driver might as well have someone with experience take a look at it and add some items to the unit.  I was thinking Stage 2.  Thoughts?  Thanks!  

I owned them bone stock, then had Mark do his magic which was an incredible improvement to my ears.  Added the angle pads then did the Q French Silk cable (not for sound, just ergonomics), then did some cup swapping.  Now have slightly deeper than stock Teak cups and it's a great headphone with excellent sound and the bass is just amazing.  Deep, tight and clean. 

Before you send it to Mark, and assuming you're comfortable with removing pads and maybe the cups, I've read many times that a piece of hair or other debris can be the cause of your "rattle".  Worth it to check that yourself if you can.  I can advise how to remove cups and pads if you need some input. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 8

I owned them bone stock, then had Mark do his magic which was an incredible improvement to my ears.  Added the angle pads then did the Q French Silk cable (not for sound, just ergonomics), then did some cup swapping.  Now have slightly deeper than stock Teak cups and it's a great headphone with excellent sound and the bass is just amazing.  Deep, tight and clean. 

Before you send it to Mark, and assuming you're comfortable with removing pads and maybe the cups, I've read many times that a piece of hair or other debris can be the cause of your "rattle".  Worth it to check that yourself if you can.  I can advise how to remove cups and pads if you need some input. 

Sure let me know the directions?  I'm just not too keen on messing with these headphones much if it's complicated but I'm open to suggestions.  Given parts are likely hard to come by since they are out of production.  

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 8

Sure let me know the directions?  I'm just not too keen on messing with these headphones much if it's complicated but I'm open to suggestions.  Given parts are likely hard to come by since they are out of production.  

Taking the pads off is likely the hardest step if you haven't done it and/or they haven't been removed.  There is a white ring that has 4 detents that engage the silver mount ring under the pads - put the cup in your left hand and using your right palm push down on the pad and rotate it 1/4 turn to the left to remove the ear pad.  If you can't get it to move (and it's normal to be difficult at first) you can gently peel the pad away from the headphone body, effectively removing the pad while leaving the white ring on the headphone.  Then you can more easily remove the white ring.  Once you do that, get a small jewelers screwdriver (Phillips) and down through the holes the white ring resided in you will see the 4 small wood screws that hold the cup to the headphone body.  Remove them (I'd advise having a small magnet handy to ensure the screws are easy to capture) and you'll have access to the driver.  Use a magnifying glass if you need to and look for a loose hair or other bit of debris that may be causing the noise. 

Put it all back together while making sure you don't overtighten the cup screws.  If they seem "loose" put a dab of wood glue in the cup screw hole, let it set a while and then put it back together.  Pads go back on the same way they came off - line up all 4 tabs and using your palm again twist the pad 1/4 turn to the right. 

I understand being a bit intimidated about taking them apart - my first go round was a bit anxiety-inducing but if you take your time and go slow you'll be fine.  I've owned two D2000's, two D5000's, my LA7000, a Fostex TH-600 and TH-900 and have had them all apart at some point and it really is pretty basic. 

Let me know if you need any more help - I can shoot pics if you need to.  Also there are YouTube videos available that show what I described if you do some searching. 

These are great headphones - I still use my LA7000 regularly and my MD2000 is my work headphone and gets used almost daily. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 8

Taking the pads off is likely the hardest step if you haven't done it and/or they haven't been removed.  There is a white ring that has 4 detents that engage the silver mount ring under the pads - put the cup in your left hand and using your right palm push down on the pad and rotate it 1/4 turn to the left to remove the ear pad.  If you can't get it to move (and it's normal to be difficult at first) you can gently peel the pad away from the headphone body, effectively removing the pad while leaving the white ring on the headphone.  Then you can more easily remove the white ring.  Once you do that, get a small jewelers screwdriver (Phillips) and down through the holes the white ring resided in you will see the 4 small wood screws that hold the cup to the headphone body.  Remove them (I'd advise having a small magnet handy to ensure the screws are easy to capture) and you'll have access to the driver.  Use a magnifying glass if you need to and look for a loose hair or other bit of debris that may be causing the noise. 

Put it all back together while making sure you don't overtighten the cup screws.  If they seem "loose" put a dab of wood glue in the cup screw hole, let it set a while and then put it back together.  Pads go back on the same way they came off - line up all 4 tabs and using your palm again twist the pad 1/4 turn to the right. 

I understand being a bit intimidated about taking them apart - my first go round was a bit anxiety-inducing but if you take your time and go slow you'll be fine.  I've owned two D2000's, two D5000's, my LA7000, a Fostex TH-600 and TH-900 and have had them all apart at some point and it really is pretty basic. 

Let me know if you need any more help - I can shoot pics if you need to.  Also there are YouTube videos available that show what I described if you do some searching. 

These are great headphones - I still use my LA7000 regularly and my MD2000 is my work headphone and gets used almost daily. 

Awesome thank you!  I'll give it a crack later.  Since it appears you've owned a ton of these can you read this thread and give me your thoughts?  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834079/fostex-upgrade-coming-from-the-denon-ah-d7000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back