Lawton Audio Custom Cups
Jan 26, 2010 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
Just received my damped Australian Sheoak D5000 cups from Lawton Audio tonight, thought I'd post some first impressions for you guys.

When I first opened the box, I was actually taken aback at just how beautiful these things are, the stock cups are nice but there is no other way to describe the Lawton cups than to call them works of art, the wood grain and obvious time and effort put into these makes them just plain fun to look at. They are slightly heavier than stock cups, but not enough to be noticeable on your head.

Installation was a breeze, I just had to be careful not to lose the tiny screws.

As for the sound, this is where it gets interesting. I was told by Mark that the damped Sheoak cups would tighten bass up a little, bring the mids forward and make the highs crisper and cleaner. When I first put them on my head, everything seemed just plain muddy, the actual volume of the headphones seemed to have gone down without me touching any volume controls at all. I was horrified thinking something must be wrong.

I decided to give them a change, and listened to them for awhile. After roughly 3-5 minutes, in the middle of a song I heard something that almost sounded like a quiet popping noise, then out of nowhere the volume increased to roughly what it was before putting the cups on, but everything had changed for the better, and in exactly the way Mark had described it. Soundstage was larger, bass was a little tighter with better impact, mids were clearer and highs somewhat crisper. All I can say is boy am I glad I gave them those 5 minutes.

Not sure exactly what happened, but whatever it was the change was unbelievable, and these cups were definitely worth their cost.

Pictures (more can be posted if requested, for now just one of each cup):

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get the flash to catch the darker stripes as well in the first picture (rest assured, they're there), but I was EXTREMELY surprised at how closely the cups resemble each other, they were matched very well.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 14
Crazy story! What the **** sort of phenomenon was that, I wonder? I've heard of burn-in, but "blast-in"...?

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you done any of the diy markl mods?

I have not, although the change from these cups is making me consider it.

I'd also like to mention here as I didn't in my OP, I had been listening to the cans with stock cups for 2 hours before the new cups arrived, so I am basing the differences in SQ off of very recent memory, although not close enough to be completely accurate I will admit. I certainly hear much more difference than a placebo effect could make.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crazy story! What the **** sort of phenomenon was that, I wonder? I've heard of burn-in, but "blast-in"...?

Haha, wish I knew. Maybe it had something to do with the way the damping was applied, and it shifted after a few minutes of being exposed to soundwaves? Who knows, it was definitely one of the weirdest things I've experienced audio-wise.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Magic cups. Interesting!
wink_face.gif

The funny thing is, I don't believe in burn-in on any audio equipment, let alone wood!

These cups must have a sprinkling of fairy dust!
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn now i want to get some cups for my d2000's.

You'd probably hear a larger difference than I did as well, considering you'd be moving from plastic to wood.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn now i want to get some cups for my d2000's.

Do it! I recently got Bubinga cups for my D2000. For me, I noticed a definite tightening of the sound, especially the bass, with better detail across the board. That added to also getting the J$ pads make for one sweet set of phones.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

the damped Sheoak cups would tighten bass up a little, bring the mids forward and make the highs crisper and cleaner.

Thanks, Necrolic for posting your thoughts, glad you are enjoying them, not sure what happened there at first with your equipment, but I don't believe it was related to the cups at all.

Just a quick note that not all of our cups for Denon phones produce the exact same changes as the Sheoak that Necrolic purchased. Each wood has a modestly different tone, and we have a number of different woods to choose from to tailor the phones to the individual tastes of the listener. The wood selected can affect the tone on about the same level as a cable swap. So it's noticeable, though not a night-and-day transformation. The positive effects on soundstage are the result of the size and shape of our cups, and does hold true for any of them regardless of wood used. Cheers.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Does Lawton Audio offers black gaboon ebony wood for extra fee?

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Does Lawton Audio offers black gaboon ebony wood for extra fee?

Hi DC5Zilla,
From time to time we will have a pair turned from special/premium woods, though right now we do not and have no immediate plans for more. Our current line up of 6 standard woods are result of careful selection and a lot of listening for musical properties; we've had to reject some woods because they were just not "musical" in our view. These are the woods we have verified and many customers have since confirmed to have nice tone, that is suitable for and enhances the Denons. We advise customers to choose with ears rather than eyes, and we have a series of questions we ask about individual listening preferences to help come up with specific recommendations for which wood(s) they should be looking at (though we will sell the customer any standard wood they like).

We do not accept wood blanks from customers to be made into cups due to the fact that they can contain unseen fissures or irregularities that do not result in an acceptable pair of cups after a lot of work and time has been put in. Also, customs can choose to quarantine foreign wood samples or even drill holes in it looking for pests and contraband. For all these reasons, the costs are too high and risks too great to accept wood directly from the customer.

I have plans to add at least one more wood to our line up of standard woods, and *possibly* a few one-offs down the road for the remainder of 2010, but nothing definite right now. Cheers.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 14
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I kind of figured it had nothing to do with the cups, but I figured I should mention it just in case it had something to do with the damping settling into place or something.

By the way, I remember you spun a pair of Amboyna Burl cups awhile back that were absolutely gorgeous and mentioned you might consider a line of premium woods, is that still a possibility?

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi Necrolic,
From time to time, we will be turning some special pairs. I don't know yet what that will be and sometimes Roshan and George will surprise me with something. In any case, if and when they become available they'll be put up on our Specials page. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back