Lawrence, KS meet impressions thread - Feb. 23rd, 2008
Feb 28, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 24
This meet was a lot of fun. Got to meet some new local head-fiers, got a tour of the organ factory, ate some great food and listened to all kinds of music though all kinds of different gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some equipment impressions...

Stax as always sound great for the vocal and classical music I listened to. They are the most transparent phones i've herd, very airy and clear.

Both the PPX and Millet sounded pretty similar to my M3 but they had that extra tube smoothness in the lower and mid ranges. The Millet had a little more in the high end and the PPX sounded very balanced, warm and had a wider soundstage. The case James made for that millet is pretty slick. A lot more professional looking than my big ol box
wink.gif

Those wooden JVCs were nice. I forgot to listen to the pair Bill had last meet so I was glad I got another chance. They sounded similar to the sony sa-5000s but perhaps a little more sennheiser-ish. A little less fast and energetic, and a little more smooth. I would like to try these on some other amps and see how they respond.

AKGs continue to impress. The AKGs 501s have a stax sound to me. Very airy and transparent. For the music I listen to, I need a little more umph though but I still appreciate their unique sound.

Dennons (D2000? 3000?), I don't know what to say except they just sound good. I don't think anyone could listen to these and not like them... just a very balanced phone. I really need to listen critically to these but its hard because everytime I listen to them I get caught up in the great sound. The phones themselves look pretty sexy too.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. And thanks Bill for hosting and bringing your delicious chili. I'm looking forward to our next meet.

Btw those are some very nice pictures. I'm guessing you indulge in a little camera-fi?
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 24
I was very pleased with this meet. Bill job well done.

Tons of cans+Lots of amps+Sources+Media=A day of Bliss
Great pics.
For me I had personal issues, I have so much that has been going on in my life that I was not my self. I was just not feeling the normal passion. That is why I did not make my rounds like I normally do.

But guys thanks for the time and the gear, I am looking forward to the next one.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #18 of 24
Well, I guess I was at this thing too so I'll just share my thoughts however vague they may be. It was over all a good time, good people, good food, good place, good gear, lots of goods,
tongue.gif
. Things I was particularly interested in:

MilletMax - I really liked the way this thing sounded all around, I've been sitting on a board for a while now and I'm finally motivated to build it. Hopefully this weekend if I get all the parts.

sr-325i - These would be my first experience with Grado phones and likely not the last. They weren't as harsh to me as I see a lot of descriptions say they are, and I also thought they were comfortable for the most part. All in all they sounded great and I might be looking into some Grado phones in the near future.

JVC DX1000 - First off, these things are pretty big. I mean, huge in a way compared to most of what I've seen. That aside, they sounded great. They were really natural to me from top to bottom. I especially liked the bass on them as I'm starting to gravitate towards that dark side of the headphone world oddly.

k501 - Well, I went into this meet thinking I needed a headphone just for classical music and this may be it. It definitely has that airy wide open quality that fits orchestral music and the like. They were also bigger than I had though they'd be :/.

Those were the big standouts for me, I also liked a lot of the sennheiser phones that were present, the PXC-250 worked surprisingly well with the noise canceling I thought. Although still not as well as good IEM's. Nova's 650's sounded great and I'd like to get some at some point, but I'm also wanting to try a lot of diverse sound signatures right now and I felt like the 650's sounded like my Atrios but quite a bit better in all respects. I'll have to try the Stax again in the future since I can't say I have a definite opinion of them at the moment.

Anywho, that's all from me. Thanks again to Bill for hosting us all, and for the chilli. And also thanks to Nylan for the fudge and cake!

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And also thanks to Nylan for the fudge and cake!

Yeah fudge and cake!
biggrin.gif

Seems like a lot of people like the DX1000. I still cannot believe how great they sound.

I am seriously considering selling my PPX3 and commissioning someone to build me a Millet Max. It sounded just as good, and costs a lot less.

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 24
For those thinking of having things built. I am over spring break going to be knocking a lot of things out. If someone does not have the resources to build I am up for building them, especially Millett Max. I am wanting to build a "no limit" version of one so doing two at the same time is easier. My next project is going to be a three channel β22.

Let me know spring break is coming up soon.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #22 of 24
Thanks all for the good words. For the most part, you guys had already organized it. I just provided the spot and a few calories (although not as many as Nylan’s wife sent!) It was a good meet – our 7th? KC/Lawrence meet. It was great to have both new and old friends among us.

A few impressions for now, maybe more to follow:

The Ultrasone Proline 2500 sounded really fantastic with piano music. That was really thrilling to hear. They sounded less convincing with orchestral music, which kept me from buying them that day from Joe.

Joe’s new DX1000 sounded as good as I remember mine sounding. I wish my D2000’s had that much nice sparkle and soundstage. I’m now thinking of doing the Markl mod on them to improve some of these qualities in the Denons.

Lazarus Short brought along some old Yamaha Orthodynamic cans, probably 25 or so years old. These really have a nice deep sound and good soundstage, albeit a little rolled off in the treble. This was the big pleasant surprise of the meet for me. Laz wasn’t using them much and presented me with them, for which I am most grateful!

James’s Millet amp was a nice little ride. Very snappy and punchy little amp – great for bluesy stuff that he likes to listen to.

Regrets:

Sorry that our old buddy Earjam from Wichita got iced in and couldn’t make it.

Sorry that our new buddy Ipatch got sidetracked and didn’t make it (he was so close when he called)

Sorry I ate so much.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 24
OH What?! i live in lawrence (i go to KU). i joined head-fi too late it seems... anyone wanna come back for another get together here? lol

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 24
Yeah, you joined 1 1/2 years too late...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back