Lawn-Fi
May 1, 2002 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought I would pass along something that works pretty well: Koss "the Plug" (or in my case, Radio Shack "the Plug") are just dandy for mowing the lawn. They seal out just enough lawnmower noise to make music listenable, not to mention saving some of your hearing in the process. Sound quality is not fantastic, but hey, it's better than anything else I've ever used while cutting the grass. Combine with a solid state mp3 player and you've got...Lawn-Fi.

May 1, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 9
"I can smell the colors
outside on my lawn
the moist green organic
that my feet tread upon

and the black oleander
surrounded by blues
I'm soon overwhelmed
by olfactory hues"
wink.gif

May 1, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I would think etys would be the ultimite in lawn-fi sound.

But what I really want to know is what grass sounds best? I've heard that bluegrass is a bit warmer than bermuda, but I'm interested in hearing you opinions...

May 1, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 9
By making your own foam plugs you can increase the isolation considerably. There are instructions here on Headwize. I find these work fine for protecting your hearing when working outdoors. I also use them at the gym for casual listening.

May 1, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Or you could just use a mechanical push mower. They're silent... don't use gas or electricity, lighter to push around (no heavy motor...), and they make a really pretty cut. I still don't understand why people use gas mowers!

If you used a silent mower you could use open-air headphones... and you might even hear that phone ringing inside while your at it.

May 1, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

I still don't understand why people use gas mowers!

Maybe this will help, Lee.......how about mowing close to an acre of the green stuff at least once a week? The iPod + ER6 makes it almost bearable to walk behind the mower.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by lee.watkins
Or you could just use a mechanical push mower. They're silent... don't use gas or electricity, lighter to push around (no heavy motor...), and they make a really pretty cut. I still don't understand why people use gas mowers!

If you used a silent mower you could use open-air headphones... and you might even hear that phone ringing inside while your at it.

The only human powered push mowers I've ever seen make at least some noise from the gears driving the cutting mechanism which also makes noise.

I'll be very happy to buy one if you'll come and push it. My Honda powered, self propeled walk behind (and sometimes push) wears me out quite well as it is. Honda does say it's low emission though.

BTW, the phone bothers me enough when I'm inside. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT.

May 1, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
I would think etys would be the ultimite in lawn-fi sound.

My 4P's and iPod block out the Lawn-Boy just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back