Lavry DA-10 Driving speakers?
Nov 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

garthfluff

Head-Fier
I'm sure I remember seeing something when this DAC first came out about someone driving a pair of Harbeth 40 monitors with just the XLR outs from this DAC and saying it sounded pretty good at low volumes. Anyone tried this? I've never seen a pair of XLR to Speaker cables before though.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 6
I would never be inclined to use the DA10 as a speaker amp. I know that it's totally inadequate for driving the K1000s. Only a few super efficient speakers need less power than the K1000s.

I'm interested in hearing anyone else's comments about XLR to speaker cable though. I've also never seen it before, but I'd love to have an XLR jack that I could hook speaker cable up to.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Impedance 6-8 ohms
Sensivity 86db/1W/1m - very easy amp. load
Amp. suggestion 50W+
Power handling 200W programme

That's the specs for the Harbeth 40s. I'm sure that's what he said he was driving and that they sounded pretty decent.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 6
'not a good idea, XLR line level outputs are optimized to drive loads with an impedance of 600 Ohms or greater, and speaker impedance can be as low as 4-6 Ohms (yes one hundred times lower). This means to achieve the same voltage level, 100 times as much current is required, so although the peak voltage that a power amp can output is not too much higher than the DA10’s XLR outputs, the XLR outputs do not have the “juice” to back it up and produce the needed power.

Power amps also have very low output impedance, and because the output impedance of the DA10 XLR output is optimized for stable operation with relatively high cable capacitance, a significant amount of the voltage available would be lost in the output resistors of the XLR outputs before it even reached the speakers. This voltage division would also be frequency dependent because the speaker’s impedance varies with frequency. So the frequency response of the speaker system would also be degraded.

The last factor is “damping” which is directly proportional to the amp’s output impedance. This has a lot to do with why a seemingly over-powered amplifier will make speakers sound better than a low power amplifier, even at low volumes. The lower output impedance of the larger amp allows the amplifier to maintain tighter control of the motion of the speaker cone than a higher impedance amp, keeping the speaker cone from continuing to move in the same direction (due to momentum) after the audio signal changes.

Maybe with some unusually high impedance speakers…but with a rated (lack of) sensitivity of 84 dB and an impedance of 6 ohms, the Harbeth 40 monitors don’t fall into this category. Sounds like a bit of an urban legend (?) Either that, or they were saying that they drove their power amps directly from the DA10 outputs (which is a good idea).

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Compared to my Bryston SP1.7 I can drive my Harbeth Monitor 40s at lower level while still getting a lot of detail. I tried the headphone output with the Super.fi Pro 5 (low impedance), Etymotic er-4s, and my HD600. It drives them all with ease and the sound is ... smoooth. In fact the Etymotic can be a bit etchy but on this amp even the er-4s sound sweet. It does not have the dryness that some other professional DACs in this class demonstrate. At this point I would probably summarize the sound as refined.

Reading it again I'm not so sure. But it seems to imply that he was driving them with the Lavry. I think I might be missing something here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back