Latest Zune software NOT downloading artwork/ID3 tags for CD's when ripping ???
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, my friend recently purchased a zune and is using the latest zune software.

He has a large collection of CDs that he wants to put on his zune. However, it says "UNKNOWN" when we go to rip the files from the zune.

How can we get it so that all the album artwork, titles, and ID3 tag info automatically download so that we don't have to enter it manually for every single cd?

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use the Zune software for ripping.
Use WMP or Mediamonkey or similar to rip your CD's.
Just use the Zune software for syncing.

It's for my freind's Dad though and we want to keep it simple as possible without the use of 3rd party software. He said it was working seemlessly with his cd's then suddenly something happened and it would not download the album art/tag information anymore.

If 3rd party is the only option then so be it, but it would be excellent if he could just do it without having to open multiple programs.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 22
Well, I just tried using windows media player and it's still having the same issue. I click "find album info" and I get a message saying "This program cannot display the webpage". Why??

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 22
Oddly enough, it sounds like there is a problem with WMP11 and the Zune software connecting to the Internet.

For WMP11, make sure it isn't in offline mode by pressing Alt+F, then making sure Work Offline is unchecked. I am not sure, but that might be messing up the Zune software also.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 22
x2. Has to be internet connection problem. I tried using Zune software to rip. Waste of time. But WMP11 works fine, it seems. I have had problems with CDs I have burned and then tried to re-rip. Not sure why. But I use EAC for anything of value bitrate-wise. For 192WMA, WMP11 is fine.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 22
I really don't think that the Zune desktop is the problem. I just ripped three CDs with album art without a problem using the Zune desktop software. Having said that, When I got my first Zune sometimes the album art would not show but after a reboot the software would update the content and the album art would be there. I does sound like a internet connection issue. Also check to see if the art is actually on the player even if it does not show up on the Zune desktop. I feel your pain.
confused.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 22
It's not the internet connection. I used the same computer to come to this forum and post.
frown.gif
Thanks for your replies guys.

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 22
Yeah, I don't think it is the software (though I guess it is always possible), as I have been using the Zune software to rip CDs for the past couple weeks without any issues with album art and all that.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 22
This feature depends on the availability of Zune Marketplace. Since this is tied to Xbox Live, you should note that the service have had some hiccups the last 2 weeks.

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 22
Well, here's another hint.. He cannot use Internet Explorer or firefox either. The only browser they use is SBC Yahoo.. Yuck.

Maybe the issue is part of whatever is blocking the use of IE and FF??

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 22
Probably a stupid suggestion, but have you considered just adding album art yourself using an ID3 tag editor? Check Amazon or findmycover.com for cover art. I prefer doing it this way and embedding the art into the files so that they're there no matter what audio program I use. The Zune software (IMO) doesn't like to download art files for some of my CDs when there are clearly covers on the Zune Marketplace.

But yeah, just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back