Latest musicdirect flyer on HD 600s
Mar 15, 2002 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BenG

500+ Head-Fier
"There's not much more we can tell you about the Sennheiser HD-600 you haven't heard before but here goes...PERFECTLY FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM, detailed highs and tremendous bottom end, supremely musical and above all, the most comfortable pair of headphones you could ever wear!"

Pefectly flat? A 20db+ drop at approx. 7kHz, a 5db rise at 100Hz according to Headroom. The 600s are one of my favorite phones but this ad is flat out misleading. I suppose they can get away with it by using the words "from top to bottom" , implying an un- specified range of response. But this is type of ad can mislead people into thinking the HD-600s are the end all phone in its class. The HD-600s are great phones in their own right, but flat response(+/-2db) is something they have not been demonstrated to provide. Compared to Grados they may sound flat!

Mar 15, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

But this is type of ad can mislead people

false advertising? in audio? noooo....

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 8
I dont think there are many headphones flatter. NOt even etymotics are FLAT. I see the words "flat frequency response" all the time, there is probably no way an electromagnetic transducer is flat.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 8
That may be true, AI, but that doesn't change the fact that what musicdirect said was wrong!

However, as a former Grado guy, I am enjoying my HD600 -- even out of the headphone jack of my soundcard (I know, I know! Tubes haven't arrived yet). Not wonderful sound (again, soundcard headphone jack) but it's a big step up from the V6 I had been listening to these past few weeks.

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 8
Welcome to our team Dan.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad that you've crossed the bridge, althought you should have taken a taxi instead of the damn trolly.
wink.gif

You using a good sound card or are you crapping out a live or one its competitors?
http://head-fi.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=7941

Ben, I don't think you'd make a very good PR man.
biggrin.gif
In all seriousness, this type of marketing happens with pretty much every well known product. I don't know why you feel so strongly about this. Doesn't bother me, I know it's not true, knowing that myself is good enough. This is a cracker when compared to ******** claims of other products. Look at any electronics magazine advertising Sony stuff. If the frequency claim about the Senns upsets you, these should make you constipated.

Afterall, would you rather have something be outstanding on paper, or physically?

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm using it alternatingly between my Hercules Game Theater XP's outboard rack and my Marantz CD6000OSE's headphone jack. Good thing I didn't disconnect it just yet.
wink.gif

In fact, I'm listening to it right now as I prepare to celebrate two weeks of no classes or ridiculously hard work! What fitting music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back