Latest iPod review posted
Oct 20, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 21
I'm sorry but I don't think I can put much weight on this review. The author clearly did not give it much thought when he wrote it.

Look at the quote in the original thread. He states that the sound and battery life suck- and that the unit lacks an onboard FW and/or USB 2.0 connector.

Fast forward to update 2.1 where he suddenly has an epiphany and thinks the sound is heavenly.

Now look at the article. He loves the sound quality and battery life (which is a fair thing to change) but now he's praising the FW and USB2.0 connection. Why change your attitude on that after a firmware upgrade that did nothing to the connectivity of the iPod?

Ruahrc

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

What? You can't do a 2.1 firmware update on the second gen ipod to make the sound improvements? I can see where the photo and recording features wouldn't work, but what about the reduction of "harshness' you talk about?

No you can not put firmware 2.1 on a second gen iPod

Oct 20, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang Also, I HEARD MY FIRST iPOD TODAY! I found an Apple store here in Thailand that actually had a display model working. The had some run of the mill cheap Sony portable headset hooked up to it. I was very suprised that I (Mr I-Like-Low-Volume) had to boost the volume up to around a 75% output level to get a reasonable level with these pitiful, portable Sony's. I can't imagine it running my Senn 600s! Otherwise, I couldn't judge the sound. Bad headphone, you know.... But it did seem very low powered (this was a third generation model) and anemic....

Note that the iPod's volume control is not linear. It's designed to give you finer volume control at lower volumes, so "75%" on the display is only about 1/2 of the actual output capacity.

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Note that the iPod's volume control is not linear. It's designed to give you finer volume control at lower volumes, so "75%" on the display is only about 1/2 of the actual output capacity.

Huh... I never noticed that before, but now come to think of it that makes sense. Thanks, MacDef. As usual, I *always* learn something from your posts.

--Chris

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Thanks McDef, good to know. I was scared...

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Wow, no kidding? That is quite interesting. I was turning it up to 75% when I was using my ER-4S and wondering if I should've been concerned that it wasn't really loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back