Latest Big Country "The Crossing" (2002) Re-Master!
Apr 16, 2002 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Recently, we lost Big Country founder/lead singer/lead guitarist/songwriter Struart Adamson, the heart and soul of the band. Tragically, he died by his own hand. It's too sad to detail.

On the downside, cash-ins will begin.

On the upside: finally the entire Big Country catalog will likely see a US re-release/re-master.

I purchased the latest re-master, the 2002 version of the debut album The Crossing, despite having also recently purchased the German import 1997 re-master. The 2002 version sounds better than the 1997 German version, which itself was a vast improvement on the original CD issue.

More importantly, the 2002 US version has the entirety of the "legendary" follow-up EP Wonderland.

Big Country also consists of PETE TOWNSEND'S early '80s rythm section. Do you like rock 'n roll drums? Big Country's drummer SHREDS.

This debut album plus Wonderland has it all for all fans of rock'n roll. Do you like U2? I guarantee you will like Big Country. Early BC including the Crossing was poroduced by Steve Lillywhite of U2 and Dave Mathews fame.

Following the debut and Wonderland EP, BC released two more good albums, Steeltown (Marred by appalling recording quality. It was recorded in ABBA's studio which featured early '80's digital "state of the art" recording technology! Even the '97 German re-master version sucks. nevertheless, the songs survive!), and The Seer.

Beyond that the singer and his songs went tragically down-hill. It's a tragedy.

Nevertheless, the Crossing/Wonderland is a feast for lovers of Rock 'n Roll!

Check it out!

markl

Apr 17, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Rock on MacDEF!

Did I happen to mention that the bass player for BC also played in the Pretenders with Chrissie friggin' Hynde? That's him on "Back on the Chain Gang".

Oh, and the drummer played with the Cult in the early '80's too.

What more info do you need? Go to it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...138814-4864844

markl

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Steeltown (Marred by appalling recording quality. It was recorded in ABBA's studio which featured early '80's digital "state of the art" recording technology! Even the '97 German re-master version sucks. nevertheless, the songs survive!), and The Seer.

I liked Big Country but I thought the sonic quality was awful on all their records except "Peace In Our Time", the "Restless Natives" music, and "The Buffalo Skinners". That didn't stop them from kicking ass however. "Wonderland" is a truly beautiful song with a wonderful mood and feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back