Latest Acquisitions
Feb 21, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
...Aphex is talented, so it can't be too bad, ambient or not, right?

MHO -- he's highly overrated. Now, don't get me wrong, I get everything he puts out, so I am a fan, I guess my tastes and his recordings are kind of drifting apart.

I mean, all the usual things apply -- have you heard his last one or two ("Windowlicker" EP, "Come To Daddy", etc.)? Drukqs is like that...times seven. It's been a very linear progression of late.

Example -- I think Trent Reznor is brilliant, yet The Fragile didn't really introduce any new ideas the way all three of his previous major releases did. I still liked it, but it took a lot longer to grow on me than the others did.

Also, (another of the "usual qualifications"), I've only listened to it 2ce (it's a bit daunting). So take it with a grain of salt, get second opinions, (come to) yadda yadda yadda.

Hey, now that I think about it, I might have a second copy -- email me if you want to trade me something for it.

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Yes, i enjoyed it, it has Metroid, Super mario brothers and a few more on it. Unfortunately the titles are in Japanese, so that doesn't help. I dont recogize some of the tracks. The only thing i can tell you is that its pretty cheap for what its worth.

Well... it's pretty cheap, but I think that's a Sonmay CD. Although probably the only copies you can get nowadays are Sonmay ones anyway..
frown.gif
I'd love to get my hands on some Orchestral Game Concert CDs if anyone know where to get them.

That's the thing with Gamemusic.com. They carry mostly authentic stuff, but also some SM stuff.

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #33 of 40
Check out ebay, run a search for "game soundtrack"

Also, try this site: www.soundtrackcentral.com, click on Marketplace and post a message about buying orchestral cd's, maybe someone has some to sell. I've bought stuff before without incident. Best of luck!

George

Feb 23, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Hmm....I'll keep that in mind....regardless, Aphex is talented, so it can't be too bad, ambient or not, right?

PS You'd be better off purchasing some old Paul Schutze. I've been listening to that a lot lately, and he creates some very nice ambient soundscapes. Quite a bit dark, though.

Feb 23, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #35 of 40
Hmm....well, I'm looking at purchasing Ambient Works, Vol. 2....the clips I heard interested me greatly......I really don't want a dark sounding album - the only dark stuff I listen to is Aenima by Tool (and I guess NIN), and neither that album or Reznor are dark, really.......I guess, dark music and me don't jibe well.......though I like dark-sounding jazz....I sure can ramble.......

Feb 23, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Hmm....well, I'm looking at purchasing Ambient Works, Vol. 2...

Oh. That's his best. Definitely get that. Quote:

.the clips I heard interested me greatly......I really don't want a dark sounding album - the only dark stuff I listen to is Aenima by Tool (and I guess NIN), and neither that album or Reznor are dark, really.......I guess, dark music and me don't jibe well.......though I like dark-sounding jazz....I sure can ramble.......

...and contradict yourself. When I said Paul Schutze was dark, I didn't mean he was any darker than Aenima, NIN, or even Aphex Twin's SAW2. Try to find some and sample it. Highly recommended.

Feb 23, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #38 of 40
I picked up a few things recently:

Tom Waits: the Heart of Saturday Night
Peter Gabriel: Passion
David Byrne: Look into the Eyeball
Zakir Hussain and the Rythm Experience
The Eagles: Greatest Hits
Musafir: The Music of India
Randy Newman - Trouble in Paradise

Feb 23, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #39 of 40
Hi

Just picked up a couple of (gasp) non prog stuff!

The Lord of The Rings soundtrack

and

The planets (not Holst) check out www.theplanets.org.uk for details. Someone at work reccommended them, so had a quick listen in the record shop, was impressed and bought it. Its a mix of largely instrumental classical and rock.

Its rare that I buy non prog stuff, its even rarer that I buy it in the shop, normal service will be resumed next week when finally the new Magnum cd will finally be dropping through the letter box (probably about wednesday)
smily_headphones1.gif

(PS Forgot, got the new Doctor Who audio cd "Chimes of Midnight" on cd, but don't think that really counts does it?)!

Feb 24, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #40 of 40
Dusty: I don't know about contradicting myself - you didn't exactly make it abundantly clear that you didn't mean dark as "similar to deathmetal."
tongue.gif
I contradicted myself!??!?!? P-cha! YOU MISCOMMUNICATING PIECE OF CHALK!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for the recommendations, nonetheless......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back