Last night was first classical/jazz guitar concert.
Apr 14, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rb67

Headphoneus Supremus
I went to see a John Williams and John Etheridge duo concert last night. My, it was phenomenal! I've always been a big fan of John Williams (the classical guitarist), but seeing it in person rather than video was a completely sublime experience. I was awestruck. John Etheridge was amazing too, although I never really listened to any of his music (or any jazz for that matter) I really got into his jazz guitar. I'll have to start listening to some jazz, although I found some of the smooth jazz portions quite.. un-involving.
They played some really unique pieces. Most of them were based off of cultural songs from places such as Cameroon, Paraguay, etc. Some of the songs they played were of their own composition. Either way, their skill and the way they played together was so seamless and in perfect harmony that I was awestruck.

Ended up buying their "Places Between" CD and got it signed
tongue.gif
Very nice guys to talk to also, although their British accents took a little work to decode
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 7
If you are interested in exploring more jazz guitarists check out Kenny Burrell.
His Prestige recordings as co-leader, "Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane", Donald Byrd and Kenny Burrell "All Night Long" and "All Day Long" are three of his best
And of course his Blue Note debut as leader "Introducing Kenny Burrell".

Some other great jazz with guitar but more fusion oriented: Chick Corea & Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and the Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin collaborations

And of course the Latin composer Antonio Carlos Jobim's masterpieces "Wave" and "Tide"

Hey, try them all!

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for all the recommendations! I could definitely use all the ones I can get as I have no jazz experience whatsoever. I just would like to stay away from soft jazz as I like more active music.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Also try some of Russell Malone's (Telarc) work, I remember seeing him at the blue note in NYC a while back and not really knowing who he was or appreciating the music at the time, but he's very good!

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Glad to hear that they're a great duo...I've got tickets to see them next week! They're swinging to ATL then. Always been a John Williams fan (the real Williams, not the composer
biggrin.gif
). His duets with Julian Bream are really good...haven't heard his duets with John Etheridge, so it'll be a treat for me.

BTW, Williams is not English....he's Aussie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back