Last buy .... old Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm ... any opinion ?
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi !  
after the summer holidays i will receive a pair of 2nd hand Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm old version ... like these ones here below

Did i make a mistake ?   are they still ok ?
What kind of amp would drive them fine ?
Thanks a lot for any kind information/advice
Regards,  gino 

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 33
This is a fine headphone.

As you suggested, you'll need an amp...but I'm reticent to suggest anything until you hear it. (It might seem like sacrilege, but you can get very good sound on a Mac and iTunes with Sound Enhancer set at 10.)

Personally, I love the detailed, restrained sound - perfect for monitoring. - similar to the K701. But unlike the K701, the DT880 is suited for a wide variety of music, from classical to punk.

I believe this is the most comfortable headphone every made. You'll discover that pretty quickly.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 33
This is a fine headphone.
As you suggested, you'll need an amp...but I'm reticent to suggest anything until you hear it. (It might seem like sacrilege, but you can get very good sound on a Mac and iTunes with Sound Enhancer set at 10.) 

Hi and thanks a lot for the very kind reply and advice.
Now i just hope that it will be working fine ... but i am more optimist on the basis of your opinion.
Unfortunately i do not have a Mac ... i use a win 7 pc.

Personally, I love the detailed, restrained sound - perfect for monitoring. - similar to the K701.
But unlike the K701, the DT880 is suited for a wide variety of music, from classical to punk.
I believe this is the most comfortable headphone every made. You'll discover that pretty quickly.

Perfect ! actually i consider the comfort very important.  And it sounds like a quite universal HP.
So i did not make a mistake. Good !
I willl try to listen to it with different amps.   Not very easy without buying them. 
Thanks a lot again,  gino 

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 33
  Hi !  
after the summer holidays i will receive a pair of 2nd hand Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm old version ... like these ones here below

Did i make a mistake ?   are they still ok ?
What kind of amp would drive them fine ?
Thanks a lot for any kind information/advice
Regards,  gino 

A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) can decently drive 600-Ohm headphone, but it would be better to spend more for an amplifier, for driving 600-Ohm headphones.
How much can you budget for a headphone amplifier?
What sources will you be plugging the amplifier into?

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 33

A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) can decently drive 600-Ohm headphone, but it would be better to spend more for an amplifier, for driving 600-Ohm headphones.
How much can you budget for a headphone amplifier?  What sources will you be plugging the amplifier into?

Hi and thanks for the kind advice.
My source is a win 7 pc > Melodious usb to aes converter > apogee rosetta 200 with xlr outs
So the amp should have xlr inputs.  
My last buy has been this one ... it should arrive at mid of august

http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=msg&id=1278&

it is a 200 USD unit.  I bought it because i have a smaller amp from the same brand that i like a lot and it has xlr inputs.
It should be their TOTL.
If this will not work i would like to buy something quite definitive.   Always with XLR inputs.
Thanks again,  gino

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 33
I use a Beyerdynamic A20 with my DT-880 600 Ohm and they sound superb.
Great choice you made and hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Hi and thanks a lot indeed for the very good news ! 
I just hope that they will be ok ... but i trust the seller who say so.
I am a little confused with this impedance issue.  
I read a comment in a review some time ago stating that high impedance gives some benefit like a better damping factor.
In the same review the writer mentioned also a nice out of the head sound, that i guess reduces listening fatigue,
I have to rely a lot on HP for my listening lately.  Neighbours are quite old and completely silent. 
I cannot use my speakers also because i like the music a little high on volume.
As i will be on holiday pretty soon i will receive everything at the end of august,
I have an interesting september ahead indeed !
Thanks a lot again for the very valuable advice.
Kind regards, gino 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 33
Man - these are my second favourite headphone after my hd650s. I was sad the day the left driver died... I would recommend getting a transparent amp, as the beauty of these are how balanced they are - across all types of music. If you are a glasses wearer - they are about as comfy as you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 33
Congratulations on your purchases Gino! Enjoy them! Let me know your impression of them as I am interested in getting one too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 33
Man - these are my second favourite headphone after my hd650s. I was sad the day the left driver died...

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.  So they are very good indeed !. very good !!!
I will try to take care of them as i understand now they are a precious thing.

I would recommend getting a transparent amp ...

That is the idea. After the HPs the next step will be to evaluate what i have at hand.
The offer of amps is huge. I am always looking for a great sound quality/price ratio.
I do not know if it is legal but i see some clones of the Beyerdynamic A1 or of the Lehmann amps on ebay.com.
The price is unbelievable compared to the original.
May i ask you what were you using with your 880 ?

Quote:
as the beauty of these are how balanced they are - across all types of music.

Should not this be a characteristic of any high quality HP ?
i like an HP with a flat response, low distortion ... and so on
And this HP should be very fine with pretty all music genres ... am i right ?
Thanks and regards,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 33
Congratulations on your purchases Gino! Enjoy them! Let me know your impression of them as I am interested in getting one too.
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi and for sure.  But my ear is not that selective.
But i have other HPs to compare .... like k240 Monitor (600 ohm), k501, k701 and dt 990 (250 ohm).
To be honest i quite like them all ... i bought these dt880 after reading a review mentioning an out of the head sound.
I think this is important for low listening fatigue.
Of course good balance and low distortion are also important
Before buying these i had my eyes  on the Audio Technica open back ... also extremely interesting.
But much lower Z.
Regards,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 33
It honestly depends how much you paid or if they were given to you. DT 880 interested me, but after reading hundreds of comments and reviews. I steered clear of Beyerndynamics. Best choice I could have made.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 33
It honestly depends how much you paid or if they were given to you. DT 880 interested me, but after reading hundreds of comments and reviews. I steered clear of Beyerndynamics. Best choice I could have made.

Hi ! what you do not like of Beyerndynamics ? all models ?
I have only the dt990 (250 ohm version)  at hand for now ... they sound quite natural and clean
Of course they are not HD800 ... but i cannot afford a 1000 USD for an HP for sure ...
I would get mad worrying to damage them ... i have to live with a 100 USD
If i break it i buy another one.
I also think that the match with the amp is important.
Not all amps sound the same.
Maybe investing something more in an amp can give some nice improvements to the overall sound.
Thanks,  gino

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 33

If you stayed clear of Beyer, I'm wondering how you know you've made the best
 choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back