Laserdisc
Nov 2, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
My Modern European History (last year)/Alternate History (this year)...showed me the truth, although they only had Director's Cut at school...urgh.

that's 3 people...haha

Four -- my sister.

Nov 2, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
My LD of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is superior to my dvd version. The funny thing is that the dvd is supposed to be a wide screen version. However when I compared the two side by side the full screen LD shows about the same or more of the horizontal width. The vertical picture of the LD is always more of the picture. Whoever put the dvd version together got really lazy. When I watch the dvd version it bothers me knowing that the top and bottom have been severely chopped off.
280smile.gif

I had a similar situation with my Godfather trilogy on LD which was supposed to be Widescreen. After carefull analysis I found that they just put black bars on the top and bottom of the pan and scan version. I have two sets of the Godfather trilogy on LD. One of the versions was released in chronological order. So at the beginning you see Vito's brother getting killed and the rest of the movie progresses from there. Also, there are additional scenes such as a scene where Vito (Deniro) meets Hyman Roth for the first time. There are numerous additional scenes that aren't part of the normal theatrical version. I don't anticipate this version being released on DVD anytime soon.
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #33 of 42
28 inch tv eh? Disagree? Thats like a jeweler saying he can inspect the quality of a diamond better without a loupe.

The more size you add to a tv, the more you magnify the image... hence the easier it is to see artifacts.

With a 28 inch tv I have no doubt dvd/laser disc will be quite competetive. On bigger tv's where you can get a more valid idea of the compression, its a different story.

Nov 3, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #34 of 42
Well when I was buying LD, finding DTS LD's was a rewarding task. I have several DTS titles in my LD collection that sound fantastic. There are some on LD that never made it in DTS to DVD - Super Speedway comes to mind. So finding a LD Player that passed a DTS signal as well as the DD signal was key. Also most receiverd required an outboard RF demodulator to enjoy the 5.1 soundfield. Good luck in your quest.

Nov 4, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by woodytone
LD's are like big cds, and if the movie is really long you have to not only flip it over but change to disk 2. and you have to flip that one over too.

Ahhh, and how I love that. I would sometimes prefer watching a movie at my friends house, who does not have an auto-flipping unit (as I have) just for the pleasure of having to lift ones butt up once in a while and flip the warm disc...
tongue.gif

Of course this is no fun when watching the CAV version of AKIRA (five sides).
wink.gif
A well placed sidebreak on LD is a piece of art, even more than an unnoticable layerbreak on DVDs. It can add emphasis. Watch "Leolo" on LD to see what I mean.

Nov 4, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #38 of 42
what is the "original akira"? i have the pioneer double-disc tin dvd that came out a couple years ago when they digitall remastered it. i always watch with original japanese soundtrack and subtitles, even though the new english dub is decent (saw it in a theatre in nyc when it premiered). has stuff been changed?

i ordered babe the gallant pig years ago on ld widescreen and it never came. bastards. at least it's since been released on dvd in letterbox, as it wasn't originally.

i've been meaning to get my mom to ship me her ld player as i doubt she uses it. i have the director's cut of scream on ld which will never be released on dvd since buena vista sucks. i also have the thx versions of the original trilogy still wrapped in plastic and i'd really like to break those in somenight.

ah well, in the future i guess.

Nov 4, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
what is the "original akira"? i have the pioneer double-disc tin dvd that came out a couple years ago when they digitall remastered it.

To my knowledge there are two US Laserdisc Versions of AKIRA, both Criterion Editions, one is CLV (one disc, no extras), the other is the collector's edition, 5 sides CAV, tons of extras, double foldout cover. IIRC both have Original and Dub on them, as well as close captions (decoder required).
I am most sure there are japanese releases as well, but I never came across a PAL LD release.
Then there is one rather crappy DVD, and the better tinbox DVD edition.

Nov 4, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #40 of 42
i just have to add that ld is so much cooler like vinyl in the respect of the packaging, it's like the good old days of awesome cover art with a new vinyl record album. can you imagine them trying to duplicate the sw trilogy box set on dvd, never happen.... where would you put the coffee table size hardcover book?

Nov 4, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
can you imagine them trying to duplicate the sw trilogy box set on dvd, never happen.... where would you put the coffee table size hardcover book?

biggrin.gif
OTOH, it became much easier and cheaper to collect whole TV-seasons with DVD (not that I'd do that...yet) due to the format being small and dirt-cheap, but did you ever see a picture of the *whole* StarTrek TNG LD set? I once wandered past two japanese box sets of some X-Files season, and they wanted about $150 per box, while one box just contained half of the season. And that was a sale. Great sale though, got said StarShip Troopers LD for roughly $15, and that was quite as low as a price could go those days for a new imported LD.
Yes, there were days when you could buy real imported (and domestic!) Laserdiscs in real stores! In Germany! Yes! There even was what is called a "nice selection"! No kidding!
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
28 inch tv eh? Disagree? Thats like a jeweler saying he can inspect the quality of a diamond better without a loupe.

The more size you add to a tv, the more you magnify the image... hence the easier it is to see artifacts.

With a 28 inch tv I have no doubt dvd/laser disc will be quite competetive. On bigger tv's where you can get a more valid idea of the compression, its a different story.

Yeah, if I can see DVD compression artifacts on a small screen, don't you think that seeing them on a larger screen would only magnify the annoyance?

Hold on a second...alright, it's a 26" screen, which is decent enough. Let's put it this way, I can watch widescreen releases on it comfortably. (Without squinting.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back