Las Vegas CES....first report from the Road.
Jan 14, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #17 of 40
Hey guys,Here is a link to the pics from CES.I will add the rest of the photos tomorrow when I can stay awake.Feel free to post or modify these as you please.

Jan 14, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #19 of 40
Thanx for the great info and pics Fred. It's greatly appreciated.

The new Creek and Sumiko amps looks intriguing, did you get a chance to listen to those or were they for show only?

What really got my attention were those Consonance amps, both the integrated and headphone amp. Do they sound as good as they look? Dare I ask what they will be going for?

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #21 of 40
I would like to see the pictures. But I am not signing up for something just to view some pictures
mad.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 40
Sorry about the incoherent comments in the pics.I was nearly dead by the time they all loaded.I also hate that I have to use Imagestation requiring sign-up but it is by far the fastest loading pic site when using a high-speed connection.I use it for that purpose only.I'll add some more pics,mainly of all the awesome Turntables I saw and heard,later tonight.

I did like the Opera amps,which is why I bought them all.I'll probably hold on to them until after the Chicago Meet in April,after which time you guys should see them for sale here on the forums.

I made arrangements to get the Sumiko Headbox and the Creek amps in a few weeks as well as the ASL amps when they see production.

I purchased and borrowed a lot of gear and will share my impressions with you all when I get the opportunity.

There was big buzz surounding the Philips 963 SACD player.Some who heard the early samples, as I did, were calling it the best digital player available regardless of price.I doubt that, but really look forward to getting my hands on one.I have to wonder if those early hand-built samples were actually close to the production versions or if they were hot-rodded in some way.We'll see.I was really upset at how bad some of the high-end digital rigs sounded,especially the SACD players.It seems that only Sony and Philips can do SACD right.The fact that any SACD player besides a Sony or Philips costs big bucks doesn't help.From what Roy Hall was saying,I gather that Sony actually sells the DACs to other companies and charges a big fee for the rights to decode the SACD format,hence the high prices.The poor performance of these players is another matter and I am not the only one who heard it.

The practice of rebadging Asian electronics as High-end audio is far more widespread than just Red Rose Music.I saw at least a dozen other companies doing the same thing.I'm not as upset over the practice as much as I am over the lack of creativity.It seems that now anybody can start an audio company by doing this.I cannot see how this is good in any way.

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 40
Hi Fred,

Thanks a bunch for all the info and pics. I'm particularly curious about the new TEAC Esoteric line. While you showed pictures, you didn't comment on the sound. Did you have the opportunity to hear these units?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #25 of 40
The Teac stuff was at the main convention center on was on display only.It was not connected to any system and I was unable to listen to them.They look awesome and have many high-end features such as isolated power supplies and top notch internal components.

The Opera amps are $975 for the Cyber 10 ,$879 for the Cyber 20.They also manufacture a 2A3 based integreted with a headphone amp circuit called the Cyber 30 selling for $979 that I'm gonna get in time for the Chicago meet.I bought that Tubed SACD player as well and will offer some thoughts when it gets here later today and I can give it a listen.

I did buy a bunch of stuff and now have to sell a bunch of stuff to get my wife off my back.Tyll clued me in to the Green Mountain speakers and they are as amazing as he said.I was gonna buy them but the dealer who had them was dealing from the list price and was very stiff.I think I might try to buy a pair direct from the manufacturer.They are phase correct like Vandersteens and have a very effortless,yet detailed sound.They were not cheap at $4900 list but if I can get for anywhere near $3500 they are a steal.

I had a ball and I'll post all the turntable pics tonight.

Jan 15, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 40
How did I miss this thread?
eek.gif
Joe sounds like a very nice and hospitable person, I'm sorry that I have not had the chance to meet him. By the way, any idea how much the new mg head is?

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
hey Guys,

I'm here and I got a huge boner.

Only Tuberoller would say that
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you had a heck of a time... I wish I could have gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back