LaRocco site UPDATE!!! Is the Diablo just a small step away???
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #16 of 33
So...this guy makes Xin's wait times seem like overnight delivery, lol. Cept, Xin actuall delivers....

OK ok...I'll calm it down, lol.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . I think most of us know what we're getting into with some (not all) of these single owner/builder 'boutique' operations, especially when the amp isn't built until after the bill has been paid, AND we're willing to do it because we love the way it sounds when we get it. . . .

thank goodness for people like ray who almost always meets or exceeds expectations.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when you spend $500 and wait month after month (some have waited more than a year...or is it two by now?) with nothing to show for it and no communication except for an occasional teaser posted in another forum, it's hard NOT to be negative. Actually, we're a pretty hopeful, or naive, group in that we still believe we will see our amps. Anybody else would have been sued by now. Come to think of it, we're either idiots or overachieving optimists.

Actually, it's been like 2 years and 3 months since the group buy on ipastudio began and Larry began taking people's money for the Diablo. I really feel for any poor soul who didn't sell their spot and has been waiting this whole time. Totally inhumane. I really hope it sounds as good as it looks, but with Larry's pitiful customer service god forbid something ever malfunctions with it, which is why I would never buy one of his products again. It's not worth the risk.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #19 of 33
The Diablo fiasco is inexcusable IMO, and in spite of how good Larocco Audio (the company) amps are, I no longer own one, and will never own one again.

Further, Larocco Audio's amps are so good because of PHIL LAROCCO's designs, and Phil Larocco no longer has any affiliation with Larocco Audio, the company. So it will be interesting to see where Larocco Audio gets its next design, after the Diablo...

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #20 of 33
There's a fine line between audiophile and audiophool! Grow on that one!

plainface.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 33
Anyone who runs businesses knows that when the chief designer/brain leaves, it will have a major impact on how a company supports what they designed. I wouldn't put much value on a Diablo, even if it does make it to market. It may be designed well but I highly doubt it will be supported effectively. We have seen from so many businesses in this market niche how important is the service/support layer after product delivery.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further, Larocco Audio's amps are so good because of PHIL LAROCCO's designs, and Phil Larocco no longer has any affiliation with Larocco Audio, the company. So it will be interesting to see where Larocco Audio gets its next design, after the Diablo...

That's unfortunate news. Larocco audio held the promise of an amazing brand with Phil's exceptional circuitry designs and Larry's eye and execution for the packaging. If they had the right turnaround time and attention to customer service, Larocco could have been one of the premium outfits for sure.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #24 of 33
I believe what a lot of people are saying (myself included) is that the PR II is a really top quality and great sounding amp, but customer service and communication is very sketchy. So you take your chances when it comes to the expectation of a smooth and timely Larocco Audio PR II transaction. I believe it is the Diablo from LA that is receiving the greatest skepticism and criticism.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #26 of 33
I bought mine late last year... and sold it this year (wanted to go desktop).

The amp really is good and versatile (bass boost, opamp rolling, rechargeable, etc).

The transaction was more initiated by me then by Larocco. I am not a business owner and I am not a musician or engineer so I do not know how things really work. I said that because there were times when I thought I was out there in limbo. BUT... (a big but, kind of like Nell Carter) when I did talk with Larry it was a pleasurable experience where he would explain current, voltage, music, headphones, how amps work and the like (very educational). SO I assumed he was giving all his customers the same treatment hence he had little time to follow through on making the amps. I figured I should not call so much and when I do call leave a direct "please provide status message" so he would not get pulled into other discussions.

$500 is a lot of money so you should expect good customer service. I hope Larocco will get there. I really like their products. I will also say those of you who know my opinion know that I believe business owners should be held to a "higher standard" and as such I understand everyone who is hesitant/cautious with Larocco.

My experiences also include returning the amp at least twice for minor repairs - once the oscillator or something was a little off - the effect was certain opamps had static (but not all). Another time was for another reason. Both times it was fixed within weeks. Again I initiated and followed up.

One other time I returned it to get a new chassis and the AD744 opamp mod. This took about two months or so. Really. I thought something had happened and I seriously forgot about my amp and worried for Larry. Seriously. Then he returned my call and shipped out the amp - it was fine.

Given all the help and education he provided I am leery to say anything but flattering words BUT it is a business so customer service should be improved.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So am I right in stating the consensus here is to stay far away from LaRocco Audio? Shame, I was contemplating purchasing a PRII from them.

It's a bit of a dilemma as the PRII is the best portable amp I have heard, as far as it sounding like a fully matured desk/home amp. This is especially so with the PSR, such that the stack IS my SS home amp.

While it was pain staking waiting all those months in each of those cases, the end result was exceptional, and I'm very pleased with what I received.

That being said, I've had very good dealings with Larry after the fact. I needed a set of replacement screws and I needed new rubber o rings. Both those times he was very prompt in replying to emails and I received the replacements in a week and gratis.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #30 of 33
I understood and agreed all your hard feeling when dealing with Larry, but I think Larry is more likely thinking himself as an handicraftsman rather than a businessman. He enjoys the progress when crafting and putting all his focus on it. You would understand why the customer service is so poor but the product is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back