Larocco PR II vs. XP-7/HR-2
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got a pair of HD650's with an Equinox Cable, and I've been really impressed with the results of using the PR II with OPA627's installed. In fact, the HD650's sound better to my ears with the PR II than with a Woo Audio 3 and a really good tube combination (Tung Sol 7236 and GE 6BQ7A's). Larocco Audio is coming out with a Dedicated Power Supply called the PSR in the near future, so I'm kind of wondering whether or not to get it and use the PR II for home and portable duty, or if another amp such as an RSA XP-7 or even HR-2 would outperform it. I'm fairly sure the HR-2 would, but would the difference be all that great?

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I once compared the PR Mk I to the XP-7, and the PR Mk I was better. I wouldn't be surprised if the PR Mk II were clearly better than the XP-7. Can't comment on the other model though.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, for once I think I'll forego the urge to try out new equipment and be satisfied with what I have. I ordered the Power Supply for the PR II as part of a group buy.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Well, for once I think I'll forego the urge to try out new equipment and be satisfied with what I have. I ordered the Power Supply for the PR II as part of a group buy.

LaRocco is already taking orders for the Power Supply? Any word on the DAC that is supposed to pair with the Pocket Reference II?

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 6
The DAC's still in the development stage, but from what PPL is saying it's pretty close. Check out the Larocco shop forum on ipastudio for details. Not sure if I'll actually need that, but it might be necessary to complete the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back