LaRocco PPA + HD650's = What Source???
Dec 4, 2003 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

buzzlulu

Headphoneus Supremus
"Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet"
How this rings so true! You guys are CRAZY.

Well I spoke with Larry at LaRocco and I am detailing my amp; the HD 650's are on order. I am going to use this setup with my iPod 3G Dock connector LINE OUT.

IF I want a small CD player (portable to sit on top of the PPA) what is the latest and greatest around?

Gregg

PS When do I get to say:
Team Sennheiser
Team LaRocco
?????????

Dec 4, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 11
I bought a JMT PPA and also some HD-650s for use with my 30g iPod. So far I've been very impressed with the sound, although I've only listened to it for a few hours at most over the last few days. I'm waiting until the weekend to give it a proper listen before I post my comments.

So, in short, not so much a recommendations for items in the PPA, rather a damn thats a similar setup to mine
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say that the iPod actually sounds pretty good, my SACD separate does feel more refined (as you would probably expect) but I can't say too much having not really given them a direct A/B type listen.

Except you'll definitely want to start using AIFF on the iPod
600smile.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 11
If I want to use a good set of headphones then I will need an amp - hence the PPA

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by glevethan
If I want to use a good set of headphones then I will need an amp - hence the PPA

Yeah, but a LaRocco one? I think is overkill, for your source, you should choose a less expensive one, and invest more in a much better source, I doubt you will hear the difference from any other more humble PPA, and LaRocco one, with an iPod....LaRocco is a piece of lab, is the best PPA you coud possibbly find, and your source are a way far from being the best you could find...just my two cents....
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 11
However they are now offering an "economical" version which prices out to the same as the other DIY'ers

Gregg

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 11
aye the econo version ..with custom panels ... and free upgrade to the diamond buffer when its out ... and larry and ppl there to help ...cant get any better.

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
aye the econo version ..with custom panels ... and free upgrade to the diamond buffer when its out ... and larry and ppl there to help ...cant get any better.

Do you have any idea of how this new diamond discrete buffer will attach to the board, on the same pinout or the old ones?

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 11
If you want to have 50% of what your PPA can do, no CDPs less than $2,000 can achieve it.

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Man, you should get a small portable amp to sit on your full-sized CDP, not the other way around. The amp can only be as good as the signal coming in, "garbage in, garbage out". One should not out-spend on amplification vs. source. Best value and bang-for-your buck if sound quality is your concern, is to reverse ratios and concentrate on the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back