Larocco Pocket Reference II
Nov 11, 2005 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I really hate to do this, with a couple of potentially outstanding portable amps getting a lot of hype on head-fi already, but I came across something pretty interesting on the ipod studio forum. The Larocco Pocket Reference II is now available for purchase and is already shipping via ipodstudio.com for $510. This amp comes with op-amp AD8060, which according to some users causes some hiss, but you can swap out op-amps. Anyone interested in checking this out, you'll find this right on the homepage of ipod.studio.com . Sorry to add to the confusion.

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 9
LOL, oh I bet you hate it!
tongue.gif
We all do, we wouldn't want to cause other members to go into debt now would we?
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Actually, it did kind of bum me out. I've got a Hornet coming anyday, and then I stumble on this amp. Ugh! In the specs, they don't even call the bass boost, bass boost...I guess for $510 they have to come up with something elegant sounding, namely "bass contouring." And thanks for that link...

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 9
just sold a v.1 PR...and they sure are the best-built cases out there. the most solid piece of equipment i owned. and they're as powerful as most home amps.

even the smaller PRII, however, is not anywhere near the portability of the hornet. and the hornet has the gain switch. but the PRII has RCA inputs, the ability to roll op-amps, and the bass "boost"...like with the AE-1, sr-71, etc., different amps for different folks. lucky us that we have so many good things to choose from!

Nov 11, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Actually the Pocket Reference II comes with the 8620 opamp stock, but Larry offers the 8066 for those with higher impedance phones. I think some actually got the 8066 on accident, but I received the 8620.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Actually, it did kind of bum me out. I've got a Hornet coming anyday, and then I stumble on this amp. Ugh! In the specs, they don't even call the bass boost, bass boost...I guess for $510 they have to come up with something elegant sounding, namely "bass contouring." And thanks for that link...

"Bass contouring" means the bass is variable. Bass boost is normally a single position, on or off. Bass contour allows you to gradually adjust the bass up and down in the same way you adjust the volume.

I found more pics of the amp here:

http://ipastudio.com/photopost/showg...cat/821/page/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back