LaRocco Pocket Reference - Carrying Case Recommendation
May 30, 2004 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kcaesthete

100+ Head-Fier
So yesterday morning I was out running around looking for a Power Supply, when I decided to look for a case to hold my iPod and PR. The one which you can order from LaRocco is not bad, but I had some preconceived notions about what my case should be like based on what I was using before. I wanted as thin a profile as possible, and no extra "poofiness."

I went to several places in town, looking at cases made for all types of things. The one I finally settled on was a case made for holding Playstation media - sold at circuit city for $9.99. You can see it online here. If you don't have a Circuit City, or want a slightly different look, you can get basically the same case with Xbox cosmetics at Best Buy

The only problem with the case is that there is a mini 3 ring binder in it which fills up some of the space. I carefully pried out the binder at the rivet points, and taped over the holes. No sweat.

Here are some pictures of the product, the modification, and the final result.

PRcase01.jpg

This is the unit to look for - in the gaming section of CC.

PRcase1a.jpg

The back of the packaging

PRcase02.jpg

Front view of the case.

PRcase03.jpg

The dreaded 3 ring binder

PRcase04.jpg

The binder removed

PRcase05.jpg

The ipod (in an exo skin) in place. The white cables coming out from the bottom of the ipod are from the Sik Imp line out/firewire combo

PRcase06.jpg

When you close the zipper on 3 sides, you still have access to the volume control and switches on the PR.

The only issue which I have with this case is that there is no convenient external pocket for my travel canalphones. I have a Koss KSC-35 bag which hangs from a loop on the back which is serving that purpose now. Otherwise, it's a very good choice.

The only other thing I wish it had is a strap on the spine like the one on this Case Logic case for CD storage. It allows you to maintain a firm grip on the case, and has an ABS plastic ring which you can clip to a carabiner on your bag. If anyone sees something the size of the the bag I purchased, but with that spine strap, let me know.

May 30, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 29
Yes, that's exactly why I use both.

May 30, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 29
kcaesthete,

Nice looking setup. Currently I carry my rigs in my laptop bag, but would prefer something a bit more convenient. Might look into the bags that you mentioned. Thanks for posting pictures.

Jester

May 30, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 29
Here's my portable bag of goodies.
4233Rig_002A-med.jpg

Nice and inconspicuous.
4233Rig_014A-med.jpg

4233Rig_011A-med.jpg

4233Rig_010A-med.jpg

4233Rig_009A-med.jpg

I HAVE found portable BLISS
etysmile.gif

I looked high and low to find a bag that would allow me to carry my iPod, PR, PCDP, and any daily junk I needed. I gave up the briefcase. Too big and no need really. I found this bag here . I bought the top one, the KSDM 1. (11.99 at J&R Music) I outfit it this way. iPod inside the front flap compartment. Nice and tight. Velcro to keep it secure. Sik din inside this compartment as well. (I cut off the Firewire) I run the Zu Pivot (which I like alot) to the PR, which I keep in the middle compartment. This bag is ideal because it has a small zipper on the bottom of the middle compartment which allows me to run the IC through the bottom. I keep the PR inside the middle compartment. I use pipe insulation foam to cushion the sides. The foam keeps the PR centered and from bouncing around. The PR fits PERFECTLY inside this compartment. I keep the zippers open three inches to give me full access to the amp. (zippers on both sides) In the back compartment, I keep my daily junk ie. cigs, allergy meds (I know, I know), hand sanitizer, and whatever else I need for the day. When I feel like bringing the SL-CT570 along, I toss it in the front compartment, move the iPod to the middle, and I am on my way. I happen to think this is the BEST rig case out there for this specific purpose. The case has a hand strap, for when you don't need the shoulder strap, and an adjustable shoulder strap, long enough to wear diagonally over your shoulder. I think this is a great bag, and luckily, everything fits perfectly (and it's only 11.99 to boot). I was told by my guy at J&R that they are discontinuing the bag. And if you look further into the website, you'll see the eventual replacement.

May 30, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 29
Thanks for the bag info (and pics), Etys Rule. It's not as slim as my setup, but it's definitely more versatile. So you keep the etys on the side of the case with the velcro belt loop?

Is there a place for a carabiner to attach other than the hand strap loop?

I'm a little concerned about the plugs sticking out the bottom - seems like a fall from a small distance could snap the plugs right off. I wonder if some sort of protection could be fashioned (like a 9v battery protrusion of plastic) to cover that area...

May 30, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 29
K, you read my mind. I have been tinkering with a few things. I am especially careful whenever I lay the bag down. Believe it or not, the Pivot RCA's are pretty damn durable. I am searching for an oval container, something along the lines of a pill box. I'll let you know when I've found something.

May 30, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 29
etys, did you check out any of the other Case Logic cd player cases to see if they were similar to the Koshkin one? I sort of have a preference for nylon over synthetic leather, but it's difficult to tell if the other ones are as functional as the one you are using.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend (easily available) RCA L shaped (or even U shaped) adapters that can reduce the total length of the PR? Does that make sense?

May 31, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcaesthete
On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend (easily available) RCA L shaped (or even U shaped) adapters that can reduce the total length of the PR? Does that make sense?

Your best bet is to look into a custom interconnect builder. I have a similar interconnect to the one you are looking for, it was made by Zu Cable. It is called Pivot (off of Ebay). You might give it a look. They run anywhere from $50-75 bones depending on the auction. If you decide to go this route make sure you email Zu Cable and tell them that you want this option after winning the auction.

May 31, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 29
jester,

thanks for the info. I was thinking more of 2 adapters, rather than an integrated interconnect. I think a quality interconnect may be out of my price range, to be honest.

May 31, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

jester,

thanks for the info. I was thinking more of 2 adapters, rather than an integrated interconnect. I think a quality interconnect may be out of my price range, to be honest.

I understand the price issue! You might cruise over to Radio Shack and have a look around. My guess is you will find what you want for quite a bit less. Good luck in your search.

May 31, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

etys, did you check out any of the other Case Logic cd player cases to see if they were similar to the Koshkin one? I sort of have a preference for nylon over synthetic leather, but it's difficult to tell if the other ones are as functional as the one you are using.

I was looking for nylon originally also. However, I spent a good two hours in J&R sizing each case. They know me pretty well in there so they know I am a bit off the wall. The Koskin case had the largest compartments. The other nylon case doesn't have a front pocket, so that limits you to two. Wouldn't work for me. BTW, I went into a shoe repair in NYC and they said they could add a zipper if I wanted to the bottom of the back compartment. So Koskin is at least durable enough to be worked with. I found a TUMI bag in Macy's that was a bit bigger, but it was also $195.00 (no way) with no zipper on the bottom.

May 31, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 29
Dane, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but in the form of an adapter. I'd rather not trust my poor soldering skills to do a professional job.

May 31, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
I understand the price issue! You might cruise over to Radio Shack and have a look around. My guess is you will find what you want for quite a bit less. Good luck in your search.

Jester, that was good advice. I just searched the radio shack site, and found part number 274-915, which is a right angle gold plated connector (3.99 each).
274-915.jpg

My plan is to use them in a splayed configuration one L facing left and one L facing right:

_| |_

Now the question is - does the case the etys suggests have enough clearance for the extra 2 cm or so of the adapted plugs with the bottom of the case zipped shut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back