Larocco Pocket Reference 2: First Impressions (HR-2 comparison)
Nov 6, 2005 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

james__bean

1000+ Head-Fier
Today was the day I finally received my Larocco Pocket Reference 2. For me its been quite a long wait because until two weeks ago, I didn't even have an amp for my SA5000's. I was the lucky guy that won the HR-2 in the Katrina Raffle. Let me say upfront that source and amplification absolutely make a difference with this headphone. I've been reminded of this everytime I've listened to a different source or amp, whether its at a meet or with my brief a/b testing tonight. But anyways, its like 4:45 in the morning so I'm just gonna get on with it.

Build Quality:
The first thing that caught my eye about Larocco Audio was their first Pocket Reference and the stunning case work it had. From that point on I knew I wanted one, which eventually led to me preordering this new version. Let me say up front, this new version has eclipsed the first one, in the key areas.

First, the case is much more streamlined in the sense that it doesn't have screws that stick out all over the place. All of the hex screws (I think thats what they are) are counter-sunk into the the front and back panels. Access to the amp's circuitry is actually from a removeable top panel. The top panel is held to the bottom by elastic bands that, again, are counter-sunk into the case work. To remove the top piece you just wiggle the top part of the case until you get a seperation between the two pieces, then slide the bands from their sunken positions and the top will come off. Not only does this design keep the amp looking sleek, it reduces the chance of someone losing one of the special screws since the only parts that customers will remove are the bands. From what I remember, the bands are suppose to be pretty common at hardware stores. (I think he mentioned home depot)

The amp is also a lot smaller than the previous version. Compared to my M3L, its a little wider and about 60% thicker. The inside of the amp looks clean and everything is easy to get to. The batteries are in the middle and the opamps are in the top corner near the volume. I'm not much of a DIYer, but the inside defintely looks professional to me. Overall, I don't think you can ask for much more in terms of build quality. The thing is a brick, literally. Larry says I can run it over if I want, but I'll just take his word for it.
tongue.gif

The only issue seems to be that there's some kind of resistance (dust most likely) in the bass boost knob. So when you turn it there's sometimes a little bit of resistance at a certain spot. Its really not much of an issue to be honest, but since others seem to have the same issue, I figure its worth mentioning.

Sound

The first thing that I noticed when I really sat down and started listening to this thing was that it has a good amount of bass, even without the bass boost. I was a little surprised because I think it actually surpasses the HR-2 in the lower regions. The bass boost on this amp is also really great. When I was talking to Larry this afternoon, he was telling me they redesigned the bass boost on this amp so that the boost curve only reaches around 100 Hz. From what I've seen of the response plots for the SA5000, they start to drop off around 80 Hz, so this works out pretty well for me. For the first part of the night I was actually just listening to a lot of hip-hop albums i hadn't listened to in months. In short, I think the variable bass boost on this amp isn't just a gimick, its actually quite useful for a large number of headphones simply because most of them do start to drop off at anything under 50.

The midrange on this amp loses out to the HR-2. The HR-2's is just so warm, inviting and musical. In comparison, the Pocket Reference seems a little dry. It also feels like the bass and the highs are a little more overpowering on the sound. In saying that though, I still found myself preferring the Pocket Reference on a couple songs simply because the HR-2 was just too dark and sounded a little dull. Most of the time I found myself preferring the HR-2 for vocals, but strangley enough I like Fiona Apple with the PR.

The highs on this amp in comparison with my HR-2 feel a little loose. The HR-2 just seems like it has so much more control over the sound. On symbols and other similar sounds, the PR just feels like the sound will sometimes keep going to the point of getting slightly harsh. The HR-2 in contrast, keeps this type of thing in check. I'm actually listening to Michael Jackson right now. (I use his stuff a lot when comparing gear) There's instances of clapping, his random screaming, etc. where it feels like the PR just lets itself get a little out of control.

Overall, the PR sounds punchy and detailed, but at the same time the midrange seems a bit recessed and overall a little dry. In contrast the HR-2 feels a little lacking in the deeper bass and although warm and inviting, can sometimes feel a little dull because it lacks the punchiness of the PR but also because it's dark nature just doesn't go with some music.

This is all just initial impressions, something I spent entirely too much time writing. What can I say though, I've been listening to music this whole time enjoying myself. One thing I feel I should mention is that I can change the opamps on both these amps. I may at a later date decided to change the opamp in my Pocket Reference. Right now though its just too early to tell. I've only been running the PR now for 6 hours. This HR-2 is actually from another head-fier so I'm sure its been broken in for a long time. Also, I had the regular caps replaced with blackgates, which apparently take a while to break in.

Overall, so far I'm pretty happy with my PR. The bass boost function alone will give it a lot of use. I think the key for me will be getting it broken in and then finding the right opamp for my setup. I think once I do that it will surpass my HR-2. I guess only time will tell though.

PS: Sorry no camera so no pics. I may borrow one from a friend tomorrow though.

PPS: When comparing the two amps, I didn't use the bass boost at all.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 22
Great review! Thanks for all of the hard work! If you don't mind, can you give us an idea of the price? It's still not posted on Larry's site.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 22
Great review James. I've always liked reviews that discuss the strengths and weaknesses of a piece of equipment so people can better understand its performance (especially relative to something else that people may be familiar with)...this as opposed to a "This is the best, nothing can be better!". The new PR also looks very solid and cool, with Larry's typical CNC treatment in spades.

But just 2 requests (1) please allow more burn in and see if that changes anything and (2) compare the two units using the same opamps if possible.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 22
First impression, certainly not a review without pics, burn-in, and opamp rolling
tongue.gif

There was a discount for those that got in on the group buy. I think the price now is something like $510 over at ipodstudio. Since this was a first run I'm not sure if Larry is going to change anything for future orders or what. You could always email him or post a question over on the Larocco boards at ipodstudio.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Great review James. I've always liked reviews that discuss the strengths and weaknesses of a piece of equipment so people can better understand its performance (especially relative to something else that people may be familiar with)...this as opposed to a "This is the best, nothing can be better!". The new PR also looks very solid and cool, with Larry's typical CNC treatment in spades.

But just 2 requests (1) please allow more burn in and see if that changes anything and (2) compare the two units using the same opamps if possible.

I tried to emphasize that this wasn't really a review, just my inital impressions. I sort of wanted to write them down so I could go back to them after burn-in and see if anything changed. As far as using the same opamps, I was planning to do that after burn-in. I definitely want to try the AD797 in my PR if I can, although I'm new to the whole opamp rolling. It will take me a bit to figure out which ones I can and can't use.

edit: Oh yeah, I also wanted to mention I'll be using my other headphones with the PR in the coming days. Tonight was pretty much all SA5000.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 22
i owned the first gen PR and it's certainly well-built and looks great. no doubt about that.

what op-amp is larroco using in these v.2 PRs? i found my PR to be very detailed and fast and punchy as well, but you're right - it also seemed a bit dry.

i think it's more of a home amp in a tiny case rather than a truly portable solution as it's heavy and requires rca inputs...keep us posted on your impressions!

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i think it's more of a home amp in a tiny case rather than a truly portable solution as it's heavy and requires rca inputs...keep us posted on your impressions!

I would say it could definitely be considered portable. While it is heavy, it is comparable in size to the Headroom Micros and RSA SR-71. It's actually a tad smaller than the Micro. The amp has both RCA and 1/8 inch inputs. It is not the tiniest portable amp but it's not the largest either.

I've been listening to mine for about 2 weeks now and have let it run at times for additional burn in. I also have the Black Gates so it probably still needs some time. I would categorize the amp as being very neutral, at least in compparison to the HeadRoom Micro w/desktop module, that being my only other amp at the moment. I agree with the comment about being dry but I find the sound really grows on you. I haven't plugged the Micro back in since the PR arrived.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 22
Today was my first day of portable use with my Pocket Reference. It didn't get off to a good start. For some reason, my lineout adapter for my M3L has pretty much stopped staying in completely. The thing just wants to come out all the time, so I had to use the remote output to hook up my amp. This sort of defeated my initial reasons for wanting an amp because you pick up slight instances of noise through the remote (headphone output as well I imagine) when changing through menus and when songs change.

Despite my difficulties with the adapter, I hooked up the amp and I've been using it off and on all day. To my surprise, the noise I previously mentioned was slightly reduced when using the amp. I couldn't hear it at all when going through the menus, although I still could hear it when changing songs.

The sound with my UM2's through the M3L felt very punchy and little brighter than without the amp. I have yet to a/b between them, so this may all just be in my head in regards to the brightness. Overall, I really liked the sound. I actually extended an hour break in between classes right through one of my classes today. I know, not really a wise decision, but I just had to listen to more music.

A lot of the tracks that I was enjoying throughout the day were those that included great drum work. DJ Shadow, some early Roots albums, Led Zeppelin (Moby Dick
tongue.gif
), Amon Tobin, and a song called African Dreams by Talib Kweli. There's a a trumpet in the African Dreams song that actually felt a little recessed with the amp, while the bell/tamberine sound in Moby Dick sounded a little more predominant than I remember. I'll have to go back and a/b these tracks at some point with and without the amp.

As far as the hiss associated with these IEM's, this isn't the miracle amp that will get rid of that. There's still noticeable noise regardless of whether or not a source is hooked up to the amp or what volume the amp is at. I can turn the amp up to half volume, (which would likely make you deaf in a matter of seconds if there was music playing
tongue.gif
) and the noise is the same as it is at no volume. I have yet to come across and amp or source that gets rid of this flaw in these IEM's, and to be honest I didn't expect the amp to solve it either.

Before I even received the amp I had already requested a fellow head-fier to make me a 75 ohm adapter. I figured regardless of whether or not this got rid of the hiss, it would at least allow me to use a little more of the amps volume knob. In case I haven't mentioned it yet, with the SA5000's I might use 20-25% of the volume and with the UM2 its probably like 10%. This amp can put out an extreme amount of power. When Larry brought over the Senn 650's I don't remember even breaking past the half way point.

Overall my experience today with the UM2 has been much better than that of the SA5000's. The amp has probably burned in for I'd say 25-30 hours, so it still has a long ways to go. I'll report back with my findings regarding the 75 ohm adapter once I receive it.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean

Before I even received the amp I had already requested a fellow head-fier to make me a 75 ohm adapter. I figured regardless of whether or not this got rid of the hiss, it would at least allow me to use a little more of the amps volume knob. In case I haven't mentioned it yet, with the SA5000's I might use 20-25% of the volume and with the UM2 its probably like 10%. This amp can put out an extreme amount of power. When Larry brought over the Senn 650's I don't remember even breaking past the half way point.

that was one of the downsides to my v.1 PR, too. way too little usable range. with grados and etys, i rarely got to 8 o'clock and this was AFTER i had larry adjust the gain. i imagine with higher ohm cans the PR's volume level feels about right.

anyway, keep us posted as your PR continues to burn in.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 22
How did you find the amp as portable device? Did you use the 1/8" jack? Did you find it too big or heavy? What kind of bag or case were you using to carry the player, amp, and headphones?

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
How did you find the amp as portable device? Did you use the 1/8" jack? Did you find it too big or heavy? What kind of bag or case were you using to carry the player, amp, and headphones?

I use a mini to rca cable. I actually just unplug the cable from the back of my pc and throw (not literally) the PR in my bad. I actually just have a backpack with a pouch that has room for my M3L and PR inside. Then on top of the pouch, there's another little one (probably for pencils) that I use for my remote. To be honest, its actually a little more convenient having the amp because now I can put that remote in the little pocket. Before it wouldn't work because I had my headphones coming directly out of there.

In my case though, to be honest I could probably have an XP-7 and it wouldn't make much of a difference. For those wondering though, it does fit in your pocket just fine. However since the jacks aren't on the front you would need to have right angled jacks so that you could get the cables out of your pocket. If you had straight jacks they'd be bending at the bottom of your pocket.

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 22
What we all want to know is how this amp compares sonically with the other popular portable amps including the Hornet, XIN SuperMacro-3 V6, and the new XIN SuperMini-3. Portability aside obviously.

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 22
One simple question: about how heavy is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back