Largest storage lossless player
Feb 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

simwells

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering what is the DAP with the largest storage that will handle lossless files? Including modded and expanded units. Really would love to be able to go all lossless but I could really do with something like 500GB for that. Ideally would love an S:Flo2 with much larger storage but the maximum 48GB just wouldn't be enough for me.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Refurbish 240gb iPod ?

RapidRepair

[edit]
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Archos 7 has the most storage I know if and plays WAV, or a rockboxed 5.5g with a 240G HD, which will play FLAC. iPods play ALAC lossless.

woah nice
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't want to go to an archos player sized device again probably should have mentioned that. Not to mention that I used to have it's predecessor and would never touch one again!

I thought rockboxed imod 5.5g would probably be my best choice, just would really want to be able to change the hard drive for something larger.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imod

Expensive but just about as good as it gets.

Yeah I think there are instructions out there so I'd be more likely to do it myself if possible. I really don't like the idea of totally losing the ability to use without an amp though. Urgh why is there never anything quite suitable!

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 12
The iMod 5.5g headphone out still works
smily_headphones1.gif

I did the DIY version (and actually put caps in the iPod), it isn't all that hard if you are good at soldering fine components and have very thin wire.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by simwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to go to an archos player sized device again probably should have mentioned that. Not to mention that I used to have it's predecessor and would never touch one again!

I thought rockboxed imod 5.5g would probably be my best choice, just would really want to be able to change the hard drive for something larger.

With an adapter this may work...stay tuned

Toshiba's 320GB hard disk is world's largest 1.8-incher -- Engadget

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iMod 5.5g headphone out still works
smily_headphones1.gif

I did the DIY version (and actually put caps in the iPod), it isn't all that hard if you are good at soldering fine components and have very thin wire.

Oh I got the impression that you had to remove volume control so it'd only be a line out, if it's still useable that would be much better. And that other 320gb HD does look good, this isn't exactly gonna be cheap. Hmm maybe I'll go with something like the S:Flo2 for when I want sound quality and then stick to the zune at lower quality for when I want all my music.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 12
The iMod/DIY iPod with the right caps can sound fantastic. I am not sure how the flo2 sounds, but I am very happy with my DIY iPod.

And I will believe the 320 when I see it (or read about how to do it), as the interface seems to be the limiting factor. Not sure where an adapter would fit, unless it was just a ribbon cable.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah the adapter would be a problem, but there are people who love their ipods and will try to find a workaround to increase the storage capacity. As for myself I'm hoping that the 320gb will be produced in a zif format to accommodate the ipod. I also found this article that does not look promising as far as the Ipod is concerned.

End of the line for the 1.8″ HDD?

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 12
For how much it's gonna cost me for something I'm never gonna be entirely happy with me, I'm guessing I'll be better waiting and seeing what the next generation of SDXC devices will be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back