Largest hard drive compatible with slim iPod Video 5.5G?
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Train

100+ Head-Fier
So lately I've been cruisin' the interwebs thinking about giving my aging iPod a facelift. I want to replace the battery and figured I could upgrade the hard drive while I was at it. My iPod is the slim 30GB model. I like the slim back panel and have no intention of swapping it out for the thicker back panel. With this in mind, what is the largest capacity hard drive I can fit and where can I get it? I know Toshiba makes 160GB hard drives now with the same dimensions as the iPod's stock 30GB drive, but I have no idea if the connectors are the same or what.

The only larger hard drive that Rapid Repair offers that doesn't supposedly require the thicker back panel is a 40GB drive. For $100, that's kind of a bum deal.

During my time lurking here in the past, I've seen this Apricorn deal mentioned. From their compatibility chart, the 120GB hard drive would appear to fit. However, clicking the 'specifications' tab shows that the 120GB upgrade kit is for the "60GB or 80GB iPod only." I don't quite know what to make of this.

Does anyone have experience with the Apricorn deal? Would the 120GB drive work for me or do I need to look elsewhere? Any other recommendations?

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 14
"The Apricorn Deal" is generally the best value for money. You should be able to fit a 120gb HDD into a slim iPod 5/5.5g as well as a new battery. Win all around as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 14
Yes, this Apricom 120 GB hard drive does fit the single platter (30 GB) iPod Video 5.5G. The 240 GB hard drive fits the dual plater (60 or 80 GB) model. (It's the same link that you posted.)

These drives have been used extensively in DIYmods.

FYI my single platter Super iMod 5.5G has a120 GB hard drive and it works like a charm.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 14
does anyone now what hard drive manufacturer the apricorn use? with rapid repair you can see the maker and model number (240gb by toshiba etc), but for the life of me I couldnt find any details on apricorn. just want to be sure if there is only one manufacturer of these drives or more than one maker and the reason for the price difference...I think I read the 120gb is from samsung, if I remeber correctly, and the 240gb from toshiba..

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Actually there are other optional drives that you can use in the slim back 5th gen Ipod, try looking at the toshiba mk1634gal this will fit and work with no problem. Also if money is no object you can go with this:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/SPD/mach-xtreme-technology-240gb-1-8--pata-mx-nano-series-zif-ssd---mxssd1mnanoz-240g--80000E8C-1292446999.jsp

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 14
The MK1634GAL is actually the 160GB drive I had mentioned in the OP. My Google searching turned up little in the way of definitive compatibility. I found even less in the way of where to get a hold of one of those drives, and what I did find was a bit more than I was willing to spend.

That SSD is insane! WAY more money than I would ever be willing to put into my old iPod, but would be awesome to try if I had a money tree.

Anyway, my searches have also led me to a CF card mod that would allow for up to 64GB and better battery life, but even going that route, I'd be spending enough money that I could buy a brand new player. If Apricorn's 120GB drive indeed fits with the slim back, then that's quite enough to make me happy. Now it's just a question of whether putting money into the thing would be worthwhile.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 14
Sorry, I must of missed the comment about the mk1634gal, you can find those drives on ebay though. I've seen them go for as litttle as a $100.00, I've also seen the 5g Ipod with these drives being sold there also. The link to the 240gb ssd was meant as humor.
etysmile.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 14
No worries. I didn't actually specify the model number, I merely made a general reference to it.

Edit:

There is one thing I'm curious about...
Has anyone using Apricorn's drive experienced any problems with it or, like was previously asked, now which drive (make or model) Apricorn uses?

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 14
The HDD on my 5.5g iPod recently died, so instead of paying an exorbitant amount to Apple, I want to go the DIY route. The Apricorn link 404'ed, and I was wondering what drives there are for the 5.5g 80gb iPod? Sorry for such a necro-bump, but this thread seemed to be the one to bump. 

EDIT: Would this work? Great price, and what else would I need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-120GB-TOSHIBA-MK1224GAH-RE-IPOD-VIDEO-5TH-80GB-MK8010GAH-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-/271036864782?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f1b0e590e#ht_5698wt_908

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 14
The iPod openers are called spudgers. They work quite nicely and you can buy a bunch on eBay for cheap. They do get messed up so having a few is nice. If you're only opening your iPod once, then you only need one or two.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
The iPod openers are called spudgers. They work quite nicely and you can buy a bunch on eBay for cheap. They do get messed up so having a few is nice. If you're only opening your iPod once, then you only need one or two.

I was talking specifically about these: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Plastic-Opening-Tools/IF145-000?utm_medium=frame_module_bottom&utm_term=ipod_5th_generation_%28video%29&utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_content=required_tools
They seem to just be spudgers, but of two different sizes, and they are only a couple bucks. I assume that others would work fine, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 14
That is exactly what I am talking about. They would work fine. Like I said, you can get them cheaper on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back