Large volume drop after running cans through preamp
May 13, 2019 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

radmanhs

100+ Head-Fier
So I tried to have this kinda unnecessary setup so I just have to hit a couple buttons and switch between my turntable and dac as inputs, then my speakers, solid state headphone amp, and tube amp as outputs. And where I'm having trouble, a preamp to switch between the headphone amps and 2 sets of cans. The sources go into a Mackie Big Knob Studio plus, then break out from there. The speakers are fine on their own, but the headphones are quite a bit quieter. Both amps, instead of running to headphones directly, feed to a Mackie Big Knob Passive. This was an attempt so I can hit a button to compare the amps or headphones without having to unplug/replug anything. My cans though, when passing through the passive preamp lose a lot of volume. I'm kinda surprised since it is just a set of relays, therefore shouldn't be effected at all. The volume on the preamp is maxed and the dim button isn't pressed.

I know this obviously is a bit funky, but is there anything that stands out, or should I be a normal person and just change the headphones with hard labor?

May 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like it's not just a set of relays. It's meant to be used with preamp signals which don't need to transmit any power, not for headphone or speaker signals which do transmit power. It must still have some series resistance when the volume is bypassed. That wouldn't affect a preamp signal since there's no power/current there, but it will affect a headphone signal. I'd just plug in the headphones manually, or find an A/B switch box specifically meant for headphones.

May 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Sounds like it's not just a set of relays. It's meant to be used with preamp signals which don't need to transmit any power, not for headphone or speaker signals which do transmit power. It must still have some series resistance when the volume is bypassed. That wouldn't affect a preamp signal since there's no power/current there, but it will affect a headphone signal. I'd just plug in the headphones manually, or find an A/B switch box specifically meant for headphones.

Thats what I began to think. I was hoping it would have been completely passive if the volume knob was maxed, but apparently not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back