Large Range of use Dilemma, headphone help!
Feb 26, 2006 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lewtz

100+ Head-Fier
All I can say is WOW, information overload. Ok, roughly a year ago, I needed a some headphones, had not used headphones in years, but moved back to home and well, lets say the option of playing music/games as loud as I was used to went away.

I did a "little" research, found sennheiser headphones, decided I would like something with a mic built in, for playing games online. Ended up ordering PC-165's I think. "multimedia headphones" "great for gaming" blah blah. Anyhow never really been happy with them at all. Come to find out, reason is, appears they suck.

I'm not an "audiophile" per say at all. I do enjoy and can tell the differance in quality products, but do not have much experiance with Headphones at all. Only thing I can remember is like 13 yrs ago, having some sony closed cans I really liked when I was 12.

Little background, on systems I like, music etc, so maybe I can get some help on deciding which direction to go. I can normally notice the differance in qualty and end up finding stuff that suits me in a price range I can afford. Like I do not need super high end audiophile equipment. I understand and respect it, but don't feel I notice "enough" of a differance. The "enough" differance is my price/performance point, heh.

In the car, I have JL 8w6 subwoofers, small 8 inch subs, but tight and very good quality. I really like them, I like MB quart, or higher end infinity/polk sound for mids highs. I like the warm sound.

Home theater. I have polk RCi10 floor standing speakers, with a denon 2805, producing a nice warm sound, within the pricerange I am willing to spend. Sure I looked at Axioms, B&W, M&k, Saphirre, Mirage, etc. But the warm sound of the polk's for Home theater is what I liked.

As far as 2.1, or Stereo Speakers, for pure music, I'm a n00b. I am not a "Music'o'phile" For lack of better terms. I prefer movies and games. I don't listen to music normally for the inspirational words, and emotions. I like beats, and sound, not lyrics for most part. I like good clean guitars, solid crisp base.

I mostly listen to rock and roll, but find my taste changing. I find that on my crap speakers, and outside of the car, I don't like things like rob zombie, system of the down, and such because of the way home theater speakers and crappy headphones reproduce the sound. On headphones easier stuff to tolerate like classic rock, country, are my normally listening.

I'm looking for a headphone, that can do rock justice, and will work on the side as a home theater headset. I am not looking for something that can reproduce 5.1 to the tee, and thump my chest like a subwoofer. I like base in my chest, not pounding in my head.

Headphones I heard seem to be decent but need some help with.
-A900, I hear this is the best gaming headset. Gaming is important, but not top.
-DT770?
-Groda for rock?

I keep looking at sennheiser stuff also. Other equipment background. In comp I got an audigy 2 zs, and the Denon 2805 would be where my headphones would get plugged into listening to TV/Hometheater stuff.

Also, it HAS to be comfortable for long listening. I prefer a full can covering over the ear. The PC165 headphones I got now just sit on the ear, and they hurt after a while. I am open either both open/closed cans. Also $300 is about max I am willing to spend. Would prefer to stay around $200-250... could go as high as $400 or so, if something is 8936459865% better there.

Thanks for any suggestions. Been using search and lurking a lot, and keep seeing all kinds of info. If you got any question on music/ games/ what I'm looking for, let me know, very willing to try and answer anything as truthfully as possible to narrow my search a bit.

OH yeh, can someone explain exactly what a DAC does?

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 2
Well ended up jumping in feet first. Ordered a PA2v2 today, from Gary, and picked up a new HD650 from fellow Headfier today. Figure its better to jump in up to your waist than dip a toe in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back