large phones similar to MX400s?
Jul 25, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #31 of 36
Hello everyone. Havent posted here ever since i became interested in photography.

so still talking about the mx400s. its been at least a month now, and i think the pair my sister owns have been fully burned in already.

And recently i tested them again, with her teen music. unfortunately they still dont sound good. still sound very tinny. And im wondering and questioning why some people will say they are the best buds around.

I feel so happy that i own a sporta.

I also went to that slicsound site, well ive seen them before in virgin and they look so very very odd. I cant imagine sticking those things inside, it looks rather oversized. Expensive too.

How nice, just days ago--when riding muni train in SF, saw two people wearing koss phones. a UR-20 (dont know how it sounds) and Koss's Ktx-pro (rad shack one). and me with my koss sporta.

Happy listening peeps. koss rules.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #32 of 36
N@Z , im sure your cousin or younger bro is amazed by the sr80 sound. nice avatar.

Jul 25, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #33 of 36
Don't get the Slicsounds. If you are using MX400/500 then chances are you bought them for their sound quality. Slicsound will truly screw the sound up. You lose all top end detail (and I mean really lose!!!) and the bass becomes boomy - much like the EX-70.

They are also extremely uncomfortable for me. I own the Ety 4P, Sony EX-70, Sony 888's and the MX400's and I can honestly say that normally the MX400's are very VERY close to the 888's - the EX-70's are only used for really quiet classical music listening at night where they actually sound very good - note that only applies to classical music at very low volumes.

The Slicsounds are for me a total waste of money. I like the comfort of the EX-70's and really hoped that these would have given me the isolation and comfort properties of the 70's with the sound quality of the 400's/888's but they just fu** up the sound and make it nasty.

Where they may offer the best improvement is with the stock headphones which come with most Sony MD/CD/MP3 equipment these days - they are pretty nasty bassless units which just might benefit from the Slicsound.

I hope you find this helpful.

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
N@Z , im sure your cousin or younger bro is amazed by the sr80 sound. nice avatar.

Thanks! He's actually my +4 year old son. He looked so cute bobbing his head up & down to the beat of the music that I had to take a snapshot. Incidently it was Pearl Jam playing, he looked curious so I popped the Grados on his head.

Jul 26, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 36
I completely agree with Peddler's comments about Slic Sound. You get *way* more bass from your earbuds and a little more isolation but at the expense of sound quality. As Peddler said, Slic sound might be able to help out the freebie buds that came with your portable, or I could see maybe for listening to talk radio on the bus but that's about it.

Putting Slic Sound on the MX400 or RatShack buds is like using the single tone control on a cheap audio component turned all the way to "lo". You notice the increased bass from your earbuds right away but the midrange and highs are washed out and muddy.

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by hokiefritz
As Peddler said, Slic sound might be able to help out the freebie buds that came with your portable, or I could see maybe for listening to talk radio on the bus but that's about it.

I use my slicsound with the buds that came with my portable, for when i dont want to break my good phones, and want isolation. they work well for that, even though they dont sound the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back