Large cone point
Apr 2, 2004 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
Anyone know where I can get some 2" high cone point feet for a decent/cheap price? I've looked at mapleshade, and $80 bucks for a set of 3 is pretty rediculous. I'm gonna need 4 sets to put under solid wood platforms.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 7
Hey DC,

Though I have a limited frame of reference, I'm a big fan of the Mappleshade Ultimate Tripple Point cones. Worth their asking price IMO.

As for more affordable cones... have you looked into Dayton audio's offerings on sites like parts express? I know they have an attractive looking spike set for $20 and I'm pretty sure they had cones as well.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Gopher.

I'd reconsider the mapleshade ones except I've just spent a rediculous amount of dough on these slab of woods and can't afford the more expensive cones. But still, $80 bucks times 4, that's $320 for cones, that's just nuts. Add that to the cost of the platforms, that's about a grand. Yikes!!!

I've checked the daytons, they're a little short, but out of stock anyway.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
Anyone know where I can get some 2" high cone point feet for a decent/cheap price? I've looked at mapleshade, and $80 bucks for a set of 3 is pretty rediculous. I'm gonna need 4 sets to put under solid wood platforms.

Actually the Mapleshade 2 inch "heavyfoot" brass cones are $65 for set of three........so you just saved $60 for 4 sets, also remeber the 1.5 inch "surefoot" cones are only $38 a set
biggrin.gif

Check the classified adds at Audiogon under "acessories - tweaks" heading, sometimes I see generic brass cones being sold by individuals there, but really no cheaper than Mapleshade:
Audiogon

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 7
I dont know if this would work, but can you use a std 1" cone and then put a hockey puck( also 1") underneath the cone point? That would give you the right height and the puck would add another layer of vibration isolation. The main factor will probably be if the weight of the component is enough to push the cones points securely into the hockey puck and remain stable. I did this before I had any support discs to protect my rack finish and it worked very well in my case.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 7
I have some cone feet left over from the PowerDAC project. Let me know if you're interested. They're 3" diameter and 1.15" tall, solid machined aluminum.

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, after having paid for the custom slabs of wood, I started to have buyer's remorse. I mean, their just blocks of wood! In anycase, I didn't want to compound this blunder by getting some expensive cones.

DA, I really like the large carpet piercing cones from mapleshade. But they're way too expensive. I'd pay $40 bucks a set, but not $80.

sacd, I don't think 1" cones will do it. I like them to be long enough to pierce the carpet. I'm thinking about getting rid of my rack and just use the wood platforms (they're 3" and 4" thick, custom cut and finished to match my components).

jefemeister, thanks for your offer. You have PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back