Large Collections, iCueMix, MoodLogic, etc.
Dec 21, 2005 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AngusMcToon

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks...

I've got a rather monstrous music collection and had looked at a tool called MoodLogic last year after a strong review in MaximumPC...it's a client and a service that stores affinities between music types and builds "mood-based" playlists. Cool idea, but seemed like poor-ish execution. They're still there, but users report on forums that the product appears to be frozen and the db not growing. (Can any users actually confirm this?)

Meanwhile, I've been playing with, and starting to like, a competitor to this idea called iCueMix. This beta Windows tool has a web interface, attaches to iTunes, reads your music catalog, builds playlists according to a number of vectors (based on a song, based on your collection, based on genre) and will tune your recommendations as you rate the music it selects for you; it can export playlists to iPod; it will also update album art once in awhile and import lyrics, and can be asked to get new music recommendations from the itunes store if you want it to. It's got a $25 annual subscription rate.

After a day or two of playing, I think it looks pretty good--and I've actually enjoyed the playlists its built out of my collection. Anybody have any longer term experience with this or with Moodlogic? Any other options to try? Thoughts?

Thanks, Angus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back