Laptop usb -> 5.1 coax
Feb 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I want my laptop to put out 5.1 audio (for when watching dvd's etc.) digitally (via coax) to my 5.1 receiver (with onboard decoders). I tried the Soundblaster external 24bit 5.1 but that doesn't work at all. Can anybody recommend me a device that simply put:

Laptop -> usb -> device (5.1) -> coax -> receiver (5.1) -> speakers

Any help would greatly be appreciated (also it must be coax, not optical).

Cheers!

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 5
the hagUSB can convert USB to coax, so maybe with the AC3 codec you can get 5.1 surround out of it.
I use an 0404USB to create coax. I use it for stereo, but 5.1 should also be possible (also with AC3).
There are not that many choices for coaxial s/pdif.

If you do have an optical output, there are also some devices that convert optical to coaxial

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I want my laptop to put out 5.1 audio (for when watching dvd's etc.) digitally (via coax) to my 5.1 receiver (with onboard decoders). I tried the Soundblaster external 24bit 5.1 but that doesn't work at all. Can anybody recommend me a device that simply put:

Laptop -> usb -> device (5.1) -> coax -> receiver (5.1) -> speakers

Any help would greatly be appreciated (also it must be coax, not optical).

Cheers!

Maybe you can link us to what you have now. Also, do you want this device to output 5.1 as analog or digital?

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi, I got my external soundblaster working now, and got perfect 5.1 sound (dolby and dts) to my receiver via the coax cable, so I am very happy. Thanks for the help.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Cool beans.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back